Обсуждение: help needed!!!

help needed!!!

От
"Priya G"
Дата:
log</div>postgres[20563]:[73256] FATAL 1: invalid length of startup packet <div> what does this
href="http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2746??PS=">AddMSN 8 Internet Software to your existing Internet access and enjoy
patentedspam protection and more. Sign up now! </a>

Re: help needed!!!

Priya G wrote:
[ text/html is unsupported, treating like TEXT/PLAIN ]

> <DIV>Hi all,</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV> The following message was found in the postgres log</DIV>postgres[20563]: [73256]

    FATAL 1: invalid length of startup packet

> <DIV> what does this mean?</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
Softwareto your existing Internet access and enjoy patented spam protection and more.  Sign up now! </a> </html>

Odds are you have a mismatch between the client version and the server
version.

Re: help needed!!!

От
"Priya G"
Дата:
Since I am a novice can you explain more about this version mismatch?

>From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
>To: Priya G <sreepriya@hotmail.com>
>CC: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [ADMIN] help needed!!!
>Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:46:27 -0400 (EDT)
>
>Priya G wrote:
>[ text/html is unsupported, treating like TEXT/PLAIN ]

> > <DIV>Hi all,</DIV>
> > <DIV> </DIV>
> > <DIV> The following message was found in the postgres
>log</DIV>postgres[20563]: [73256]
>

>    FATAL 1: invalid length of startup packet
>

> > <DIV> what does this mean?</DIV>
> > <DIV> </DIV>
>href="http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2746??PS=">Add MSN 8 Internet Software to
>your existing Internet access and enjoy patented spam protection and more.
>Sign up now! </a> </html>
>
>Odds are you have a mismatch between the client version and the server
>version.
>
>--
>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
>19073

Instant message with integrated webcam using MSN Messenger 6.0. Try it now
FREE!  http://msnmessenger-download.com

Re: help needed!!!

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
Sure, basically, modern versions of the client library can talk to older
versions of the database backend up to a point (i.e. the 7.4 library in
beta can go back to 6.5 or 6.4 or something like that.  Support for 6.2 or
thereabouts was recently dropped.)

However, going the other way, old connect libs and newer postgresql back
end versions can result in an issue where the old lib can't connect.

the normal solution is to link to / use the newer connection libraries
that come with a late model pgsql (7.3, 7.4 etc...)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Priya G wrote:

> Since I am a novice can you explain more about this version mismatch?
>
> >From: Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>
> >To: Priya G <sreepriya@hotmail.com>
> >CC: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
> >Subject: Re: [ADMIN] help needed!!!
> >Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 14:46:27 -0400 (EDT)
> >
> >Priya G wrote:
> >[ text/html is unsupported, treating like TEXT/PLAIN ]

> > > <DIV>Hi all,</DIV>
> > > <DIV> </DIV>
> > > <DIV> The following message was found in the postgres
> >log</DIV>postgres[20563]: [73256]
> >

> >    FATAL 1: invalid length of startup packet
> >

> > > <DIV> what does this mean?</DIV>
> > > <DIV> </DIV>
> >href="http://g.msn.com/8HMBENUS/2746??PS=">Add MSN 8 Internet Software to
> >your existing Internet access and enjoy patented spam protection and more.
> >Sign up now! </a> </html>
> >
> >Odds are you have a mismatch between the client version and the server
> >version.
> >
> >--
> >   pgman@candle.pha.pa.us               |  (610) 359-1001
> >   +  If your life is a hard drive,     |  13 Roberts Road
> >   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
> >19073

Re: help needed!!!

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
scott.marlowe writes:

> Sure, basically, modern versions of the client library can talk to older
> versions of the database backend up to a point (i.e. the 7.4 library in
> beta can go back to 6.5 or 6.4 or something like that.  Support for 6.2 or
> thereabouts was recently dropped.)
>
> However, going the other way, old connect libs and newer postgresql back
> end versions can result in an issue where the old lib can't connect.

This is not correct.  Old client libraries can connect to new servers.
In any case, the error message in case of a version mismatch is not
"invalid length of startup packet", so this whole discussion is not the
solution to the original question.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net