Обсуждение: How to read a sequence without incrementing it?

How to read a sequence without incrementing it?

От
Pierre Couderc
Дата:
I would like to read the current value of a sequence, or a value not too far of
the current value (for example, the value it was a few seconds or minutes ago).
Is it possible (without any nexrval that should increment it)?

Thank you all

Pierre Couderc

Re: How to read a sequence without incrementing it?

От
Sam Barnett-Cormack
Дата:
On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Pierre Couderc wrote:

> I would like to read the current value of a sequence, or a value not too far of
> the current value (for example, the value it was a few seconds or minutes ago).
> Is it possible (without any nexrval that should increment it)?

SELECT last_value FROM my_sequence;

where my_sequence is the sequence name.

try:

\d my_sequence; (same substitution as before)

for more info.

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer                           |  Student of Physics & Maths

Re: How to read a sequence without incrementing it?

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Use currval(<sequence name>)

See:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/functions-sequence.html

-Nick

"Priya G"
Дата:
readthe current value of a sequence, or a value not <div></div>>too far of the current value (for example, the value
automatice-mail virus protection. </a>

Re: How to read a sequence without incrementing it?

От
Pierre Couderc
Дата:
Thank you all.

SELECT last_value FROM my_sequence;

is the good solution.

(Currval() does not work as there is no nextval() before in the session)

Pierre Couderc

Pierre Couderc wrote:
> I would like to read the current value of a sequence, or a value not too
> far of the current value (for example, the value it was a few seconds or
> minutes ago). Is it possible (without any nexrval that should increment
> it)?
>
> Thank you all
>
> Pierre Couderc

Re: How to read a sequence without incrementing it?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
Just FYI, SELECT last_value FROM my_sequence; is NOT transaction safe,
i.e. other transactions may increment the counter between the time you run
that query and the next that uses the value.