Обсуждение: Smaller template database?

Smaller template database?

От
"Jeremy Trammell"
Дата:
Hi all,

I am trying to use PostgreSQL as an embedded SQL database server, but the 30 meg installation size is killing me...  A
quickscan of the various docs/FAQs around here have made no mention of any way to trim down that template database.  Am
Imissing something?  Why must it be so large?

Thanks,
Jeremy Trammell

Re: Smaller template database?

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Jeremy Trammell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to use PostgreSQL as an embedded SQL database server, but
> the 30 meg installation size is killing me...  A quick scan of the
> various docs/FAQs around here have made no mention of any way to trim
> down that template database.  Am I missing something?  Why must it be so
> large?

Are you sure all that is the template0/1 databases?  With WAL segments
taking 16 Megs by default, that may be half of it.

If you're looking for a better choice for imbedding, look at firebird.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/firebird/

It's got a much smaller footprint and doesn't require as much regular
daily maintenance as Postgresql does.

Re: Smaller template database?

Дата:
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
> If you're looking for a better choice for imbedding, look at firebird.

Or Berkeley DB, if you don't really need a SQL interface (which you
likely don't, for an embedded app).

            regards, tom lane