Обсуждение: backup and roll forward recovery

backup and roll forward recovery

От
"Wang, Yuting"
Дата:
Hi, there:

I am a new user of PostgreSQL. I am trying find out whether I can do, and if
so,  how to do a roll forward recovery from a backup. It seems that the 7.3
release does not provide mechanisms to perform a hot backup, to archive
logs, and to apply the archived logs for a recovery. I saw a patch(pg_copy)
for roll forward recovery in a post from richt@multera.com, I don't know
whether this is implemented yet. So if I perform nightly export with
pg_dump, and there is a datafile corruption in the afternoon, then my only
choice would be to restore from the dump, and lose all the transactions
between the dump and the point of failure. Am I right? I'd really appreciate
it if anyone can provide some inside into this issue. Thanks a million.

Yuting Wang
Servervault Co.

Re: backup and roll forward recovery

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 05:11:51PM -0400, Wang, Yuting wrote:
> Hi, there:
>
> I am a new user of PostgreSQL. I am trying find out whether I can do, and if
> so,  how to do a roll forward recovery from a backup. It seems that the 7.3
> release does not provide mechanisms to perform a hot backup, to archive

7.3 does do hot backup (with pg_dump).  But this is a snapshot
backup, and there is no roll forward capability.  It is currently
being worked on, and may be integrated in 7.4, which will go into
feature freeze sometime in the next little while (perhaps before July 1,
to read -hackers lately).

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110