Обсуждение: About sorting rows randomly

About sorting rows randomly

От
"Marc Soler"
Дата:
Hi all

It's possible to return rows randomly sorted?

Something like this:

Select * from table order by random

Thanks
--
Marc Soler

Re: About sorting rows randomly

От
Tim Ellis
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 00:32, Marc Soler wrote:
> It's possible to return rows randomly sorted?
> Something like this:
> Select * from table order by random

The way I've accomplished this in the past is to create an extra column,
call it "randNum," populate it with random numbers, then order by that
column.

If you don't care how strong the "randomness" is, you can sort by an
arbitrary column that has a lot of variation, say a foreign key column
ID.

I've also seen the logic moved into the application: select the values
into an array, and randomly traverse the array.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect and author, tedia2sql (http://tedia2sql.tigris.org)

Requests per second ?

От
jeanarthur@eurovox.fr
Дата:
H,

Is there a simple way to know how many request per second
(average) my PG database is currently handling ??

thank you !

jean-arthur silve

Jean-Arthur Silve
EuroVox
4, Place Félix Eboué
75583 Paris Cedex 12
T : +33 1 44670505
F : +33 1 44670519

Re: About sorting rows randomly

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc Soler writes:

> It's possible to return rows randomly sorted?

select * from table order by random();

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Requests per second ?

От
Robert Treat
Дата:
Don't remember what I wrote this for, but IIRC it outputs the current
transaction counter every 1 sec, which you can then use to determine the
number of transactions per second.

#!/bin/bash

while true
do sleep 1; psql -U postgres mydb -c "SELECT age(datfrozenxid) FROM
pg_database where datname='mydb'";
done;

I'm sure you can use this to come up with something more robust.

Robert Treat

On Fri, 2003-03-28 at 05:39, jeanarthur@eurovox.fr wrote:
> H,
>
> Is there a simple way to know how many request per second
> (average) my PG database is currently handling ??
>
> thank you !
>
> jean-arthur silve

Re: About sorting rows randomly

От
Ian Barwick
Дата:
On Friday 28 March 2003 09:32, Marc Soler wrote:
> Hi all
>
> It's possible to return rows randomly sorted?
>
> Something like this:
>
> Select * from table order by random

SELECT foo, bar, random() AS rand FROM my_table ORDER BY rand

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net