Обсуждение: Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''

Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''

От
"GB"
Дата:
Hi all,

I just tried a fresh install of pg 7.3.1 on a SuSE 8.1 box. I keep getting
messages like

Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''

during initdb. I already tried --locale=C but no help. Anyone any ideas?

regards
GB

Re: Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''

Дата:
"GB" <nobody@nirvana.xx> writes:
> I just tried a fresh install of pg 7.3.1 on a SuSE 8.1 box. I keep getting
> messages like
> Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''
> during initdb. I already tried --locale=C but no help. Anyone any
> ideas?

Try initdb with -d option and show us the (last few lines of) output.
Also, what is your LANG/LC_ALL setting?  Does the -d output change
when you use --locale=C?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''

От
"GB"
Дата:
Hi Tom,

sorry for not replying for so long. LC_ALL is set to 'en_us'. We finally got
it to run by setting LC_MESSAGES to 'C'. But since we will have to redo this
we'll try -d then.

thanks a lot
Gerd
.
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in message
> "GB" <nobody@nirvana.xx> writes:
> > I just tried a fresh install of pg 7.3.1 on a SuSE 8.1 box. I keep
getting
> > messages like
> > Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''
> > during initdb. I already tried --locale=C but no help. Anyone any
> > ideas?
>
> Try initdb with -d option and show us the (last few lines of) output.
> Also, what is your LANG/LC_ALL setting?  Does the -d output change
> when you use --locale=C?
>
> regards, tom lane

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Failed to initialize lc_messages to ''

Дата:
"GB" <nobody@nirvana.xx> writes:
> sorry for not replying for so long. LC_ALL is set to 'en_us'. We finally got
> it to run by setting LC_MESSAGES to 'C'. But since we will have to redo this
> we'll try -d then.

You can easily experiment with initdb without having to reset your existing
database.  Just give it a -D switch that points at a scratch directory.
After the experiment, rm -rf the scratch directory and you're back where
you were.

            regards, tom lane