Обсуждение: psql to 7.2.3 from 7.3.1

psql to 7.2.3 from 7.3.1

От
Bhuvan A
Дата:
Hi,

I have pg7.3.1 in my PC and pg7.2.3 in another machine. While i tried psql
pg7.2.3 from pg7.3.1 machine, it reports

ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."

But still, it established the connection. Then it was found that i was
unable to execute any of the forward slash (\) commands from that version
of psql. It reports similar error for every forward slash (\) commands.

Does it due to the fact that psql of 7.3.1 has more features than 7.2.3
does? How can i overcome this problem? Does using 7.2.3 or 7.3.1 on both
machines the only way?

Sample test:

$ psql -V
psql (PostgreSQL) 7.3.1
contains support for command-line editing
[bhuvan@Bhuvan bhuvan]$ psql -hdbserver test_db test_db
Password:
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

SSL connection (cipher: DES-CBC3-SHA, bits: 168)

test_db=> \dt
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
test_db=> SELECT version();
                           version
 PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
(1 row)

test_db=>

regards,
bhuvaneswaran

Re: psql to 7.2.3 from 7.3.1

От
Egon Reetz
Дата:
You should connect with the 7.2 tools to 7.2 and with 7.3 ones to 7.3.
I think this messages is caused by the introduction of schemas in 7.3, so the
tables look something like public.your_table_name.
psql-7.3 tries to find the public-schema on 7.2 and this doesn't work since
there is none.

Egon

Bhuvan A wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have pg7.3.1 in my PC and pg7.2.3 in another machine. While i tried psql
> pg7.2.3 from pg7.3.1 machine, it reports
>
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
>
> But still, it established the connection. Then it was found that i was
> unable to execute any of the forward slash (\) commands from that version
> of psql. It reports similar error for every forward slash (\) commands.
>
> Does it due to the fact that psql of 7.3.1 has more features than 7.2.3
> does? How can i overcome this problem? Does using 7.2.3 or 7.3.1 on both
> machines the only way?
>
> Sample test:
>
> $ psql -V
> psql (PostgreSQL) 7.3.1
> contains support for command-line editing
> [bhuvan@Bhuvan bhuvan]$ psql -hdbserver test_db test_db
> Password:
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
> Welcome to psql 7.3.1, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>        \h for help with SQL commands
>        \? for help on internal slash commands
>        \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>        \q to quit
>
> SSL connection (cipher: DES-CBC3-SHA, bits: 168)
>
> test_db=> \dt
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "."
> test_db=> SELECT version();
>                            version
>  PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC 2.96
> (1 row)
>
> test_db=>
>
> regards,
> bhuvaneswaran

Re: psql to 7.2.3 from 7.3.1

От
Doran Barton
Дата:
Not long ago, Bhuvan A proclaimed...
> Then it was found that i was
> unable to execute any of the forward slash (\) commands from that version
> of psql. It reports similar error for every forward slash (\) commands.

Sorry to be nit-picky, but those are "backslashes" not forward slashes. ;-)

-=Fozz

--
Doran L. Barton <fozz@iodynamics.com> - President/CSH - Iodynamics LLC
http://www.iodynamics.com/ - Network consulting, development, and Linux