Обсуждение: md5 file

md5 file

От
Jie Liang
Дата:
Forgive me this silly question:
at ftpsite there always a md5 file followed the tarball file(e.g.)
postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz
postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz.md5
what is this md5 file for? how to use it?
I guess it's a cksum, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

Jie Liang

Re: md5 file

От
Dan Langille
Дата:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Jie Liang wrote:

> Forgive me this silly question:
> at ftpsite there always a md5 file followed the tarball file(e.g.)
> postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz
> postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz.md5
> what is this md5 file for? how to use it?
> I guess it's a cksum, but I am not sure.

It is used to verify that postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz has been downloaded
without corruption.  How you use postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz.md5 depends upon
your operating system.  In FreeBSD, the command is "cksum".  The result
should be the sameas that found in postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz.md5.

Re: md5 file

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Or try md5sum on most linux distros:
$ md5sum postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz

Cheers,
Steve

On Monday 23 December 2002 1:17 pm, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Jie Liang wrote:
> > Forgive me this silly question:
> > at ftpsite there always a md5 file followed the tarball file(e.g.)
> > postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz
> > postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz.md5
> > what is this md5 file for? how to use it?
> > I guess it's a cksum, but I am not sure.
>
> It is used to verify that postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz has been downloaded
> without corruption.  How you use postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz.md5 depends upon
> your operating system.  In FreeBSD, the command is "cksum".  The result
> should be the sameas that found in postgresql-7.3.1.tar.gz.md5.

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: md5 file

От
Jie Liang