Обсуждение: RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

От
"jburski"
Дата:
I've just installed Red Hat 8.0.  The distro include
PostgreSQL version 7.2.2, but only the *base* parts - no
"devel", "odbc", "perl", etc. RPMs.

Are there any RPMs for Red Hat 8.0 for the *rest* of the
PostgreSQL installation?

If not, will the RPMs for Red Hst 7.3 work?

Thanks.

John Burski
Self-Employed
E-mail:  jburski@cloudnet.com
Cell:  (320) 249 5616

Re: RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, jburski wrote:

> If not, will the RPMs for Red Hst 7.3 work?

Do download the source rpm from main ftp site and rebuild it :) That'll be
easier.

Best regards.

--

Devrim GUNDUZ

devrim@oper.metu.edu.tr            Tel  : (312) 295 9318
devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr        Faks : (312) 295 9494

        Web : http://devrim.oper.metu.edu.tr
        ------------------------------------

Re: RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

От
"jburski"
Дата:
Thanks for the quick response.

I'll give it a try.  This will be a learning experience for
me -- I've never built or rebuilt an RPM before. (Naturally,
any pointers would be appreciated)

Thanks again.

> Hi,
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, jburski wrote:
>
> > If not, will the RPMs for Red Hst 7.3 work?
>
> Do download the source rpm from main ftp site and rebuild
> it :) That'll be
> easier.
>
> Best regards.
>
> --
>
> Devrim GUNDUZ
>
> devrim@oper.metu.edu.tr            Tel  : (312) 295 9318
> devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr        Faks : (312) 295 9494
>
>         Web : http://devrim.oper.metu.edu.tr
>         ------------------------------------

John Burski
Self-Employed
E-mail:  jburski@cloudnet.com
Cell:  (320) 249 5616

Re: RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, jburski wrote:

> I'll give it a try.  This will be a learning experience for
> me -- I've never built or rebuilt an RPM before. (Naturally,
> any pointers would be appreciated)

1. Download the source rpm :
    postgresql-7.2.3-1PGDG.src.rpm

2. Run the following commands:
    rpm -iv postgresql-7.2.3-1PGDG.src.rpm
    rpmbuild -ba -target i686 /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/postgresql.spec
(Assuming you have a pentium-2 or higher machine)
These will build rpms for your architectures.

3. The rpms will be written to /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i686 directory. Enter
that directory and install the rpms you want.

Best regards.
--

Devrim GUNDUZ

devrim@oper.metu.edu.tr            Tel  : (312) 295 9318
devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr        Faks : (312) 295 9494

        Web : http://devrim.oper.metu.edu.tr
        ------------------------------------

Re: (correction)RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

От
Devrim GUNDUZ
Дата:
Hi,
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:

>     rpmbuild -ba -target i686 /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/postgresql.spec
would be         ^
     rpmbuild -ba --target i686 /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/postgresql.spec
              ^^
Best regards.
--

Devrim GUNDUZ

devrim@oper.metu.edu.tr            Tel  : (312) 295 9318
devrim.gunduz@linux.org.tr        Faks : (312) 295 9494

        Web : http://devrim.oper.metu.edu.tr
        ------------------------------------

Re: RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Friday 18 October 2002 11:02 am, jburski wrote:
> I've just installed Red Hat 8.0.  The distro include
> PostgreSQL version 7.2.2, but only the *base* parts - no
> "devel", "odbc", "perl", etc. RPMs.

They should be on one of the three CD's.  You won't find the postgresql-tk or
postgresql-test ones, though.

Barring that, if you have all the necessary development languages, tools, and
libraries installed, you can grab the source RPM (on one of the two source
CD's) and rpm --rebuild it, looking in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 for it.

Optimizing the compile for anything but i386 doesn't produce significantly
better results in my experience.  I welcome benchmark results to prove me
wrong :-).
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: RPMs for Red Hat 8.0

От
John Burski
Дата:
I read your response and grinned sheepishly - I should have known that
because I've run across the same situation before.  :)

I've installed all the RPMs and everything seems to be working fine.

Thanks.

--
John Burski
@home S.I.M.U. (Well, sometimes I am)