Обсуждение: Precision when substracting two values with SQL

Precision when substracting two values with SQL

От
Juancho
Hello:
    I have a problem substracting two values whith SQL.  Please
consider this cases...

ciudadela=# select 0.2-0.2;
 ?column?
----------
        0
(1 row)

    That's OK for me,

ciudadela=# select 0.2-0.21;
       ?column?
----------------------
 -0.00999999999999998
(1 row)

    I was hoping -0.01,

ciudadela=# select 0.21-0.22;
 ?column?
----------
    -0.01
(1 row)

    Again, that's OK for me,

    My question is why is this behavior taking place (the second case),
 and how can I avoid it.
    Any suggestion would be really appreciated.
    Thanks,

Juan Manuel
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Re: Precision when substracting two values with SQL

От
Tim Ellis
Дата:
> ciudadela=# select 0.2-0.2;
>         0
> ciudadela=# select 0.2-0.21;
>  -0.00999999999999998
> ciudadela=# select 0.21-0.22;
>     -0.01

I also get this on my Postgres 7.2.1, both Linux and Solaris.

--
Tim Ellis
Senior Database Architect

Re: Precision when substracting two values with SQL

От
Larry Rosenman
Дата:
On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 15:24, Tim Ellis wrote:
> > ciudadela=# select 0.2-0.2;
> >         0
> > ciudadela=# select 0.2-0.21;
> >  -0.00999999999999998
> > ciudadela=# select 0.21-0.22;
> >     -0.01
>
> I also get this on my Postgres 7.2.1, both Linux and Solaris.
You are comparing floats.

This is a STANDARD problem with Base 10 Floating point.

LER

Re: Precision when substracting two values with SQL

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 04:57:32PM -0300, Juancho wrote:

> ciudadela=# select 0.2-0.21;
>        ?column?
> ----------------------
>  -0.00999999999999998
> (1 row)
>
>     I was hoping -0.01,

Try

select (0.2-0.21)::numeric(12,2);

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Precision when substracting two values with SQL

От
Juancho

>Try
>
>select (0.2-0.21)::numeric(12,2);

Thank you, I will do this...

Re: Precision when substracting two values with SQL

От
Jean-Luc Lachance
Дата:
I think you meant:

select 0.2:: numeric(12,2) - 0.21::numeric(12,2);

If you are not conviced try:

select (0.2-0.21)::numeric(40,20);