Обсуждение: Reindex time?

Reindex time?

От
Ericson Smith
Дата:
A  quick question.

We're reindexing a table with 1.2 million tuples and around 10 indexes.

# REINDEX TABLE tlogs;

Does anyone have any anecdotes about the time that a reindex should
take?

- Ericson Smith
http://www.did-it.com
eric@did-it.com

Re: Reindex time?

От
Naomi Walker
Дата:
At 05:58 AM 7/31/2002 , Ericson Smith wrote:
>A  quick question.
>
>We're reindexing a table with 1.2 million tuples and around 10 indexes.
>
># REINDEX TABLE tlogs;
>
>Does anyone have any anecdotes about the time that a reindex should
>take?

I would imagine it depends on how much you have in the way of system
resources (memory, cpu (how fast, how many)) at the time it is done.

But to the list, supposing the entire machine was idle, would a reindex
spread itself amount cpu's, and perform the task in pieces, or is it bound
to a cpu?

>- Ericson Smith
>http://www.did-it.com
>eric@did-it.com

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

----------------------------------
Naomi Walker
Eldorado Computing, Inc
Chief Information Officer
nwalker@eldocomp.com
602-604-3100 x242

Re: Reindex time?

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 09:32:55AM -0700, Naomi Walker wrote:

> But to the list, supposing the entire machine was idle, would a reindex
> spread itself amount cpu's, and perform the task in pieces, or is it bound
> to a cpu?

A single REINDEX command works with one backend, which is a single
process.  Therefore, it'll only work on one CPU.

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Reindex time?

От