Обсуждение: Disabling case sensitivity

Disabling case sensitivity

От
linux_211@hotmail.com (igor)
Дата:
Hi

I would like to know if there is some way how to disable case
sensitivity in PostgreSQL server. With some varaiable or some setting
in configuration file  or how?
So after this would be the same 'Good' and 'GOOD' or 'GoOd' in some
SELECT from table where username='Good'. I wanna get the same row
with:
SELECT from table where username='GoOd';
Exactly like in MS SQL server.

Thanks a lot for any help

Re: [GENERAL] Disabling case sensitivity

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 00:11, igor wrote:

> I would like to know if there is some way how to disable case
> sensitivity in PostgreSQL server. With some varaiable or some setting
> in configuration file  or how?
> So after this would be the same 'Good' and 'GOOD' or 'GoOd' in some
> SELECT from table where username='Good'. I wanna get the same row
> with:
> SELECT from table where username='GoOd';
> Exactly like in MS SQL server.

You can use ILIKE, or search for a match to lower('GoOd') (or upper()).

Re: [GENERAL] Disabling case sensitivity

От
Stephane Bortzmeyer
Дата:
On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 04:11:38PM -0700,
 igor <linux_211@hotmail.com> wrote
 a message of 12 lines which said:

> I would like to know if there is some way how to disable case
> sensitivity in PostgreSQL server.

Always remember that case-INsensitivity is properly defined only for
US-ASCII. Many PostgreSQL users store data in other scripts like
Latin-1.

> Exactly like in MS SQL server.

What does MS SQL server does with Unicode? Does it map 'Stéphane' to
'STEPHANE'?