Обсуждение: starting the databaseserver

starting the databaseserver

От
WolfgangMeiners@t-online.de (Wolfgang Meiners)
Дата:
Hi there,
i have a realy silly question: I installed postgressql (v 7.2) from suse linux
8.0 and then i wanted to try the first steps with it.

As i understood, i shoud login as user postgres an then start the server by
some commands, wich are described in the documents.

It seems, the user postgres (group daemons) has been added by the
installation-procedure -at least not by me. Nevertheless, when i try to login
to this user, it fails because i do not have a password! So i can not take
the very fist step!

So my question simply is: How do I login to the user postgres?

Please excuse my bad english. It is not my native language.
Thank you for any information
Wolfgang

Re: starting the databaseserver

От
"Gareth Kirwan"
Дата:
This is more, to my mind, a linux question.

But all the same:

su -
# su to root

su - postgres
# once root you can su to postgres without password prompt - and hence (
hopefully ) avoid your problem

then you can run the program - hopefully.

Gareth

i have a realy silly question: I installed postgressql (v 7.2) from suse
linux
8.0 and then i wanted to try the first steps with it.

As i understood, i shoud login as user postgres an then start the server by
some commands, wich are described in the documents.

It seems, the user postgres (group daemons) has been added by the
installation-procedure -at least not by me. Nevertheless, when i try to
login
to this user, it fails because i do not have a password! So i can not take
the very fist step!

So my question simply is: How do I login to the user postgres?

Please excuse my bad english. It is not my native language.
Thank you for any information
Wolfgang

Re: starting the databaseserver

От
"Florian Helmberger"
Дата:
Hi Wolfgang,

> It seems, the user postgres (group daemons) has been added by the
> installation-procedure -at least not by me. Nevertheless, when i
> try to login
> to this user, it fails because i do not have a password! So i can
> not take
> the very fist step!
>
> So my question simply is: How do I login to the user postgres?

Switchuser to root (su - root) and then change either the password or switch
to user postgres (su - postgres) - as you do this as root, you don't have to
log in.

Florian