Обсуждение: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

От
Werner Modenbach
Дата:
I'm doing some backup action for my database using crontab. Unfortunately
the following entry doesn't work and I can't figure out the problem:
----------------------------- /etc/crontab ---------------------------
05 22 *  *  1-5 postgres /usr/bin/pg_dumpall -D >
/disks/postgres/db.pg_dumpall

The message I get is:

---------------------------- stderr ----------------------------------
connected to template1...
/usr/bin/pg_dumpall: 0: Bad file descriptor

The outputfile looks like:

----------------------- the output file ------------------------------
--
-- pg_dumpall (7.2)   -D
--

CREATE USER "werner" WITH SYSID 100 CREATEDB CREATEUSER;
CREATE USER "martin" WITH SYSID 101 NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;

DELETE FROM pg_group;

That's all. No databases dumped. Calling pg_dumpall manually works fine.
Whe is the problem? Any hints?

- Werner -

Re: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

От
Nils Höglund
Дата:
> 05 22 *  *  1-5 postgres /usr/bin/pg_dumpall -D >
> /disks/postgres/db.pg_dumpall
> connected to template1...
> /usr/bin/pg_dumpall: 0: Bad file descriptor

Filedescriptor 0 is STDIN. I would guess pg_dumpall want's to read something
from stdin, pherhaps ask you a question?

--
/Nils Höglund, Naqua KB

E-mail:         nils@naqua.se
Web:            http://www.naqua.se/
Home Phone:     +46 (0)18  30 09 19
Cellular Phone: +46 (0)709 91 97 65
Address:        Nya Valsätrav. 26 B
                SE-756 46
                Uppsala, Sweden

Re: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

От
Werner Modenbach
Дата:
Nils Höglund wrote:

>> 05 22 *  *  1-5 postgres /usr/bin/pg_dumpall -D >
>> /disks/postgres/db.pg_dumpall
>> connected to template1...
>> /usr/bin/pg_dumpall: 0: Bad file descriptor
>
> Filedescriptor 0 is STDIN. I would guess pg_dumpall want's to read
something
> from stdin, pherhaps ask you a question?

But it doesn't ask in interactive (shell) mode.

Re: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

От
"Guthrie, John"
Дата:
keep in mind that cronjobs don't get your login environment, so things that
work in interactive mode often fail in cron unless you make sure to set up
the environment there too.

john guthrie

>> 05 22 *  *  1-5 postgres /usr/bin/pg_dumpall -D >
>> /disks/postgres/db.pg_dumpall
>> connected to template1...
>> /usr/bin/pg_dumpall: 0: Bad file descriptor
>
> Filedescriptor 0 is STDIN. I would guess pg_dumpall want's to read
something
> from stdin, pherhaps ask you a question?

But it doesn't ask in interactive (shell) mode.

Re: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

Дата:
Werner Modenbach <modenbach@alc.de> writes:
>> Filedescriptor 0 is STDIN. I would guess pg_dumpall want's to read
>> something from stdin, pherhaps ask you a question?
>>
> But it doesn't ask in interactive (shell) mode.

I was going to suggest that it's trying to read a password.  Are you
sure you don't have password authentication enabled?

You might try adding < /dev/null to the cron entry.  I would have thought
that would be the default, but perhaps it isn't on your machine.

            regards, tom lane

Re: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

От
Werner Modenbach
Дата:
Guthrie, John wrote:

> keep in mind that cronjobs don't get your login environment, so things
that
> work in interactive mode often fail in cron unless you make sure to set up
> the environment there too.

Thanks John,

actually I didn't know that :-(
In the meantime I added the "</dev/null" as proposed by Tom and it works
fine now :-))
Seems like pg_dump needs it. Maybe this can be improved in future?

- Werner -

Re: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

От
Kevin Brannen
Дата:
Guthrie, John wrote:
> keep in mind that cronjobs don't get your login environment, so things that
> work in interactive mode often fail in cron unless you make sure to set up
> the environment there too.

That is very important to remember!  First try adding "< /dev/null" to
the command.  If that doesn't work, you can also try adding ".
$HOME/.profile ; " to the command.

HTH,
Kevin

>>>05 22 *  *  1-5 postgres /usr/bin/pg_dumpall -D >
>>>/disks/postgres/db.pg_dumpall

Re: pg_dumpall in crontab doesn't work

Дата:
Werner Modenbach wrote:
> Guthrie, John wrote:
>
> > keep in mind that cronjobs don't get your login environment, so things
> that
> > work in interactive mode often fail in cron unless you make sure to set up
> > the environment there too.
> >
> Thanks John,
>
> actually I didn't know that :-(
> In the meantime I added the "</dev/null" as proposed by Tom and it works
> fine now :-))
> Seems like pg_dump needs it. Maybe this can be improved in future?

Is there a password involved in any of the databases?