Обсуждение: Importing Database

Importing Database

От
acchung@mit.edu
Дата:
Hi,

I'm trying to import this database into postgresql.
The file is called 20020422_project_summaries.gz.
When I gunzip it, I get:

postgres@E52BPS588R /Databases
$ gunzip 20020422_project_summaries.gz

gunzip: 20020422_project_summaries.gz: not in gzip format

When I type less 20020422_project_summaries.gz, I get the
text of the database of this file.  So it seems that it's already unzipped
but has the .gz extension.  how do I import this file
as a database into postgresql?  I'm running cygwin and pgAdmin II
on a win2k computer.

Alex

Re: Importing Database

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Well, since it is already in text format, just load it normally:

psql <database name> -f 20020422_project_summaries.gz

psql doesn't care what the name is so long as the internal format is OK.

If you want to, you can rename it. (I probably would to avoid confusion
among the humans.)

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: Importing Database

От
"Rajesh Kumar Mallah."
Дата:
rename 20020422_project_summaries.gz as 20020422_project_summaries.sql

and load it using psql.

regds
mallah

On Monday 24 June 2002 21:00, acchung@mit.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to import this database into postgresql.
> The file is called 20020422_project_summaries.gz.
> When I gunzip it, I get:
>
> postgres@E52BPS588R /Databases
> $ gunzip 20020422_project_summaries.gz
>
> gunzip: 20020422_project_summaries.gz: not in gzip format
>
> When I type less 20020422_project_summaries.gz, I get the
> text of the database of this file.  So it seems that it's already unzipped
> but has the .gz extension.  how do I import this file
> as a database into postgresql?  I'm running cygwin and pgAdmin II
> on a win2k computer.
>
> Alex

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

Re: Importing Database

От
Lee Harr
Дата:
> When I type less 20020422_project_summaries.gz, I get the
> text of the database of this file.  So it seems that it's already unzipped
> but has the .gz extension.  how do I import this file
> as a database into postgresql?  I'm running cygwin and pgAdmin II
> on a win2k computer.

I am no w2k or cygwin expert, but you could try:

cd /dir/where/20020422_... exists
psql
create database my_new_db;
\c my_new_db
\i 20020422_project_summaries.gz

This sort of assumes that file is from pg_dump and is not
just a csv (or some other format) of plain data.
If it is just data, you would need to create your
table structure, then \copy or COPY the data in to
the tables.