Обсуждение: set permanent date style

set permanent date style

От
"Martin Teoh"
Дата:
hi,

I just install postgres 7.2.1 and start the server using the start up script
provided in contrib/start-scripts/linux.  Now I want my date style to
automatically change to European every time the postgres server is started.
How can I do it?

Thanks,
Martin

Re: set permanent date style

От
Ragnar Kjørstad
Дата:
On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 03:42:00AM +0000, Martin Teoh wrote:
> I just install postgres 7.2.1 and start the server using the start up script
> provided in contrib/start-scripts/linux.  Now I want my date style to
> automatically change to European every time the postgres server is started.
> How can I do it?

add -o \"-o -e\" to the arguments of pg_ctl in the inits-cript.
(at least with the RH init-script).

Alternatively you can set an enviroment-variable before starting the
deamon.

--
Ragnar Kjørstad
Big Storage

Re: set permanent date style

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Martin-

in postmaster.conf, add a line that looks something like this:

PGDATESTYLE=ISO,European

(or SQL,European or POSTGRES,European or GERMAN,European)

Regards,

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: set permanent date style

Дата:
"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> in postmaster.conf, add a line that looks something like this:
> PGDATESTYLE=ISO,European

I do not believe that will work in any released version.  It will work
to set PGDATESTYLE as an environment variable in the postmaster's
environment, however.

As of 7.3 it will be possible to set DateStyle in postgresql.conf,
but up through 7.2 DateStyle is specially handled and isn't in the
set of variables that postgresql.conf knows about :-(

For the particular problem at hand, adding -e to the postmaster's
command line switches might have been enough ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: set permanent date style

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Hmmm... I'm confused. It works for us. When I make this change in
postmaster.conf for our v7.2 install, it has the desired effect. Perhaps
this file is specific to the Debian package. Is postmaster.conf generally
used in all distributions?

Here is the documentation I found in that file:

# How (by default) to present dates to the frontend; the user can override
# this setting for his own session. The choices are:
#   Style      Date            Datetime
#   ----------------------------------------------------------------
#   ISO        1999-07-17      1999-07-17 07:09:18+01
#   SQL        17/07/1999      17/07/1999 07:09:19.00 BST
#   POSTGRES   17-07-1999      Sat 17 Jul 07:09:19 1999 BST
#   GERMAN     17.07.1999      17.07.1999 07:09:19.00 BST
#
# It is also possible to specify month-day or day-month ordering in date
# input and output.  Americans tend to use month-day; Europeans use
# day-month.  Specify European or nonEuropean. Separate the two parameters
# by a comma with no spaces
PGDATESTYLE=SQL,nonEuropean

-Nick

Re: set permanent date style

Дата:
"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> Hmmm... I'm confused. It works for us. When I make this change in
> postmaster.conf for our v7.2 install, it has the desired effect.

I'm sorry, I thought that was a thinko for postgresql.conf.  Evidently
not --- it must be a file that sets up environment variables for the
postmaster.

> Perhaps this file is specific to the Debian package.

It's certainly not part of the standard source distribution, but it
might be in the standard RPM package.

            regards, tom lane

Re: set permanent date style

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2002-06-18 at 15:26, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> > Hmmm... I'm confused. It works for us. When I make this change in
> > postmaster.conf for our v7.2 install, it has the desired effect.
>
> I'm sorry, I thought that was a thinko for postgresql.conf.  Evidently
> not --- it must be a file that sets up environment variables for the
> postmaster.

That is correct; it sets PGDATESTYLE, PGDATA (indirectly), the logfile,
and offers the chance to send any special options to pg_ctl.

> > Perhaps this file is specific to the Debian package.

Probably.

     "Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the
      life; he that believeth in me, though he were dead,
      yet shall he live."                 John 11:25

Вложения