Обсуждение: help me out on installation!!!

help me out on installation!!!

От
Tao Wan
Дата:
Hi, all,

I am installing postgresql-7.1.2  on Linux 2.4.12.  I did configure
with only one option --prefix=.... when I did make ( I am using
gnu make 3.78.1 and gcc 2.95.2), I got errors below:

gcc -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations command.o
common.o help.o input.o stringutils.o mainloop.o copy.o startup.o
prompt.o variables.o large_obj.o print.o describe.o tab-complete.o
-L../../../src/interfaces/libpq -lpq
-Wl,-rpath,/home/grad4/tawan/pgsql/lib -lcrypt -lresolv -lnsl -ldl -lm
-lhistory  -o psql
/local/gcc-2.95.2/lib/libhistory.a(histfile.o): In function
`read_history_range':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:161: undefined reference to `_fxstat'
/local/gcc-2.95.2/lib/libhistory.a(histfile.o): In function
`history_truncate_file':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:161: undefined reference to `_fxstat'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [psql] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/grad4/tawan/cs589/postgresql-7.1.2/src/bin/psql'
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/grad4/tawan/cs589/postgresql-7.1.2/src/bin'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/grad4/tawan/cs589/postgresql-7.1.2/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

I have no idea to figure it out. Hope you can help me out. Thanks

tony

Re: help me out on installation!!!

Дата:
Tao Wan <tawan@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:
> I am installing postgresql-7.1.2  on Linux 2.4.12.

Just out of curiosity, why aren't you installing 7.2.1?

Even if you have some reason to want to use a 7.1.* release, 7.1.3
would be the preferred choice.

Dunno about the _fxstat problem.  Looking at /usr/include/sys/stat.h,
it seems that Linux is playing some weird games to try to achieve
binary compatibility, and this is falling down for some reason.
You'd probably be better off asking about it on a Linux-related list
(especially considering that the problem seems to be in libhistory.a,
and thus is not anything directly related to Postgres at all).

            regards, tom lane

root account needed??

От
Tao Wan
Дата:
Hi, all,

just wonder whether I a root account required to install pgSql on Linux?

Thanks

Tony

Re: root account needed??

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Mon, 13 May 2002, Tao Wan wrote:

> just wonder whether I a root account required to install pgSql on Linux?

You shouldn't need a root account to install from source, although you'll
almost certainly need to give a prefix to configure to put it in some
place the user has access to write to (since I believe the default is
/usr/local).

no one parent tuple found

От
Brian McCane
Дата:
Hello,

    Well I never heard back from anyone about how to debug this thing,
so I did a pg_ctl stop/start cycle this morning.  Then I tried to re-run
the "VACUUM FULL".  No dice, it still gets the same error.  Any ideas now?
It sounds like this is the perfect test case for someone to debug this
issue in the vacuum code, but I would need some assistance figuring out
what I need to do.

- brian

Wm. Brian McCane                    | Life is full of doors that won't open
Search http://recall.maxbaud.net/   | when you knock, equally spaced amid those
Usenet http://freenews.maxbaud.net/ | that open when you don't want them to.
Auction http://www.sellit-here.com/ | - Roger Zelazny "Blood of Amber"

Re: no one parent tuple found

Дата:
Brian McCane <bmccane@mccons.net> writes:
>     Well I never heard back from anyone about how to debug this thing,
> so I did a pg_ctl stop/start cycle this morning.  Then I tried to re-run
> the "VACUUM FULL".  No dice, it still gets the same error.  Any ideas now?
> It sounds like this is the perfect test case for someone to debug this
> issue in the vacuum code, but I would need some assistance figuring out
> what I need to do.

Oh, excellent!  No one's ever seen that trouble survive a restart AFAIK.
Now we have a shot at finding the problem.

If you want to try debugging it yourself, set a breakpoint at elog and
then trace back through the vacuum code to see why it's getting fooled.
But I really think you'd be better off letting a more experienced
developer have access to your machine; the code in question is IMHO
one of the most obscure, difficult-to-follow parts of Postgres.

Do you have enough disk space to temporarily make a second copy of your
$PGDATA tree?  If so, it'd be possible to make a spare copy in a playpen
account, and then you need only grant access to the playpen account not
to your running installation.

I'm willing to look at this if you'll grant me access.  Let me know.

            regards, tom lane

Re: help me out on installation!!!

От
Tomaz Borstnar
Дата:
At 13:59 13.5.2002, Tom Lane wrote the following message:
>Tao Wan <tawan@cs.nmsu.edu> writes:
> > I am installing postgresql-7.1.2  on Linux 2.4.12.
>
>Just out of curiosity, why aren't you installing 7.2.1?

is there a way to enable/disable bug compatibility with previous versions?
namely, option for pgsql not to complain when too long text is inserted. I
would like to go to 7.2.x, but cant because of applications that are not
ready for 7.2.x which rely on this bug/feature.

Tomaž