Обсуждение: Avoiding transaction ID wrap

Avoiding transaction ID wrap

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Hi-

Watching Michael's problem vicariously has me all worried about transaction
ID wrap now.

I'm on v7.1.3- will checking the size of $PGDATA/pg_log work for me as well?

At what size should I begin to worry?

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: Avoiding transaction ID wrap

Дата:
"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> Watching Michael's problem vicariously has me all worried about transaction
> ID wrap now.

> I'm on v7.1.3- will checking the size of $PGDATA/pg_log work for me as well?

> At what size should I begin to worry?

If you get to 1GB (4 billion transactions at 2 bits each) you are screwed.

Anyone who is over the 1-billion-xacts mark (250MB pg_log) probably
ought to be thinking about moving to 7.2 sooner, not later.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Avoiding transaction ID wrap

Дата:
"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> I'm on v7.1.3- will checking the size of $PGDATA/pg_log work for me as well?

Ooops, forgot to answer that part.  In 7.1.* you look at
    $PGDATA/global/1269
which is what pg_log is called in 7.1 ... the data is the same though.

            regards, tom lane