Обсуждение: long vacuum

long vacuum

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
I'm doing a vacuum on an empty database (except for the system tables). I've
loaded & deleted about 140MB of data 3 times prior to this.

Does it seem reasonable that the vacuum would take more than an hour to run?
It's currently taking all of the idle CPU time, so it's working hard at
something...

I'm running PGSQL 7.1.3 and Debian Linux 2.4.14 on an Athlon 1.4Ghz box with
512MB RAM & IDE drives.

Any thoughts appreciated- I'm trying to decide whether I should cancel the
vacuum & do an autopsy.

-NF

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788
Ray Ontko & Co.     Software Consulting Services     http://www.ontko.com/

Re: long vacuum

От
Naomi Walker

>I'm running PGSQL 7.1.3 and Debian Linux 2.4.14 on an Athlon 1.4Ghz box with
>512MB RAM & IDE drives.
>
>Any thoughts appreciated- I'm trying to decide whether I should cancel the
>vacuum & do an autopsy.

I do a nightly vacuum analyze of databases that are about 2-5 gig.  The
longest one takes 40 seconds.  Something is quite wrong.  Do you have truss
?  I'd truss the vacuum and see where it is spending its time.

--
Naomi Walker
Chief Information Officer