Обсуждение: About groups in postgres

About groups in postgres

От
Denis Chavez
Дата:
Hi!

I've got a couple of questions about groups in postgres:

1) Is there any way of asking postgres the groups a user account belongs to?
2) Let's suppose I have a user account that belongs to several groups, how
can I tell postgres that I want access the database but just with the
priviledges of one of the groups?

Thanks in advance and regards to all.
Denis

http://www.gmx.net

Re: About groups in postgres

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
> 1) Is there any way of asking postgres the groups a user account
>    belongs to?

You can figure this out, but I don't know of a nice clean way of doing
it.  Check out the pg_group table.  There's got to be a 'value in
array' type function that could make that an easy select.

> 2) Let's suppose I have a user account that belongs to several
> groups, how can I tell postgres that I want access the database but
> just with the priviledges of one of the groups?

You don't want the intersection of permissions?  I'd create a new user
account: I don't know that there's a way to rescind privs that have
been granted to you.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Backup and Recovery (revisited)

От
Naomi Walker
Дата:
In the past, several of you have mentioned that adding backup and recovery
features to Postgres (specifically, point in time recovery), was important
to you and/or your company.  For one reason or another, it keeps getting
shoved off the list of features for the next release.

I'd like to organize a group of postgres users to hurry along this process
by throwing some money at the problem.  My company is willing to pony up
some of the cost.  I'd like very much to share the cost of making this
happen with others.  I've gotten a quote from Red Hat for the work, and it
was insane/excessive, so that is out of the question.

To the group, then, would any of you out there be willing to participate in
such a venture, either on the financial support or coding side?

I believe Postgres is an excellent database, but without this feature, some
companies will look elsewhere for a database management systems.  The more
people that use Postgres, the better for all of us, and this is a critical
piece..

Please email me if you are interested in such a venture or have any comments.

--
Naomi Walker
Chief Information Officer

Re: Backup and Recovery (revisited)

Дата:
Naomi Walker wrote:
> In the past, several of you have mentioned that adding backup and recovery
> features to Postgres (specifically, point in time recovery), was important
> to you and/or your company.  For one reason or another, it keeps getting
> shoved off the list of features for the next release.
>
> I'd like to organize a group of postgres users to hurry along this process
> by throwing some money at the problem.  My company is willing to pony up
> some of the cost.  I'd like very much to share the cost of making this
> happen with others.  I've gotten a quote from Red Hat for the work, and it
> was insane/excessive, so that is out of the question.
>
> To the group, then, would any of you out there be willing to participate in
> such a venture, either on the financial support or coding side?
>
> I believe Postgres is an excellent database, but without this feature, some
> companies will look elsewhere for a database management systems.  The more
> people that use Postgres, the better for all of us, and this is a critical
> piece..

One use of replication can be point-in-time recovery.  The log of
replication messages can be played back against a nightly backup to
restore the system to the current state.  It would be nice to hit both
of these at the same time.

Re: Backup and Recovery (revisited)

Дата:
FYI, we have a point-in-time recovery patch submitted by J.R. Nield
<jrnield@usol.com>.  It arrived too late for 7,3 but it will be in 7.4.
If you need it for 7.3, you may be able to get a patch directly from
him.  7.3 beta starts September 1.