Обсуждение: starting log problems

starting log problems

От
Manuel Trujillo
Дата:
Hi.

I've got compiled a postgresql-7.1.3 into a Debian Sid box (linux). All
works fine, but sometimes, when I go to look the log, this is set to
"zero", is empty. The postgresql don't write anything into it file.
I don't know if it occurs when stop-start postgres, or has any problem,
or... well, i don't know.
In the syslog, messages, or any sistem-log, don't show any problem... ¿?

Anybody can help me, please?
Excuse me my bad english... :(

Have a nice day ;-)
TooManySecrets

Re: starting log problems

От
"Radu-Adrian Popescu"
Дата:
My postmaster is started with :
su -l postgres -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -o "-i" -p /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster start  >> /var/log/pgsql 2>&1" < /dev/null
This is an excerpt from my data/postgresql.conf file, that sets (some) logging parameters :
#
#       Debug display
#
#silent_mode = false
log_connections = true
log_timestamp = true
#log_pid = false
#debug_level = 0 # range 0-16
debug_print_query = true
#debug_print_parse = false
#debug_print_rewritten = false
#debug_print_plan = false
debug_pretty_print = true

> Hi.
>
> I've got compiled a postgresql-7.1.3 into a Debian Sid box (linux). All
> works fine, but sometimes, when I go to look the log, this is set to
> "zero", is empty. The postgresql don't write anything into it file.
> I don't know if it occurs when stop-start postgres, or has any problem,
> or... well, i don't know.
> In the syslog, messages, or any sistem-log, don't show any problem... ¿?
>
> Anybody can help me, please?
> Excuse me my bad english... :(
>
> Have a nice day ;-)
> TooManySecrets

http://archives.postgresql.org

Re: starting log problems

Дата:
Manuel Trujillo <manueltrujillo@dorna.es> writes:
> I've got compiled a postgresql-7.1.3 into a Debian Sid box (linux). All
> works fine, but sometimes, when I go to look the log, this is set to
> "zero", is empty. The postgresql don't write anything into it file.

Bit of a stretch, but: is it possible you have things configured to send
log output to syslog, instead of stderr?

Do you ever get any log output, or does it only fail some of the time?

            regards, tom lane