Обсуждение: Maximum Performance -> File System?

Maximum Performance -> File System?

От
"Jean Huveneers"
Дата:
Hi,

ok, conclusion: lots of RAM make Postgres faster, if you adjust you
config file.
And multi-processor usage depends on your linux kernel.

But what is the best file system to use?
I'm going to run postgres on a IDE-RAID5 (hardware from 3Ware) ATA-100
system, total capacity around the 160GB, anybody had any good or bad
experience with different File systems (ext2, ext3, reiser, etc)?

Regards,

Jean Huveneers

Re: Maximum Performance -> File System?

От
Tomaz Borstnar
Дата:
At 07:22 26.1.2002, Jean Huveneers wrote the following message:

>I'm going to run postgres on a IDE-RAID5 (hardware from 3Ware) ATA-100

Have you done any testing of RAID5 with IDE disks yet? There were reports
from people that RAID0 and RAID1 are screamingly fast with 3ware, but said
that their RAID5 had a lot to be desired.

Tomaz

Re: Maximum Performance -> File System?

От
Andy Ruhl
Дата:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Jean Huveneers wrote:

> And multi-processor usage depends on your linux kernel.

Or FreeBSD or anything else of course.

> But what is the best file system to use?
> I'm going to run postgres on a IDE-RAID5 (hardware from 3Ware) ATA-100
> system, total capacity around the 160GB, anybody had any good or bad
> experience with different File systems (ext2, ext3, reiser, etc)?

If raw volumes were supported (like they are with some commercial
databases), then I'd say that they would be the fastest because they have
no filesystem. But I don't know if they are supported with postgres.

Andy

--
acruhl@sdf.lonestar.org