Обсуждение: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Hi guys,

does anybody know how I can increase the shared memory under MacOS X?
I have tried but gotten an error message, telling me that it's too
much. (PostgreSQL 7.2RC1).

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

От
"Zhang, Anna"
Дата:
You need to increase SHMMAX. For solaris, it's in /etc/system file; Linux:
/etc/sysctl.conf. You should know corresponding file for your system or
check with your SA to figure out.

Anna Zhang

does anybody know how I can increase the shared memory under MacOS X?
I have tried but gotten an error message, telling me that it's too
much. (PostgreSQL 7.2RC1).

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
At 14:21 -0500 01/24/2002, Zhang, Anna wrote:
>You need to increase SHMMAX. For solaris, it's in /etc/system file; Linux:
>/etc/sysctl.conf. You should know corresponding file for your system or
>check with your SA to figure out.

I have this well under control on my production server (Linux) with
/sbin/sysctl. I am doing development on a PowerBook G4 running MacOS
X 10.1.2 and I have tried to up the shared memory on the
postgres.conf file. I have it at 256 8K blocks and it's working, but
it's pretty slow. When I try and specify more memory (512 8K Blocks
or more), I get an error, telling me that the system is not allowing
more.
I can not ask my SA, I AM the SA ;-). And there are no recognizable
files in or around the /etc directory, I can modify. MacOS X has the
sysctl command, but there is no kern.shmmax parameter to read or set.
This is a MacOS X SPECIFIC question, and solutions for other UNIXen
don't quite apply.
I checked on the web and any other available resource on this, but
came up empty handed ...

Best regards,
Chris
--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

Дата:
Chris Ruprecht <chrup999@yahoo.com> writes:
> I can not ask my SA, I AM the SA ;-). And there are no recognizable
> files in or around the /etc directory, I can modify. MacOS X has the
> sysctl command, but there is no kern.shmmax parameter to read or set.
> This is a MacOS X SPECIFIC question, and solutions for other UNIXen
> don't quite apply.

Since OSX is basically BSD under the hood, I'd expect BSD-ish solutions
to be the place to look.  Our notes about BSD systems say that a
kernel rebuild is the only way to alter SHMMAX on those kernels :-(

            regards, tom lane

Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

От
"Zhang, Anna"
see docs: http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/
under Administrator's Guide, section 3.5 Managing Kernel Resources.

Anna Zhang

> I can not ask my SA, I AM the SA ;-). And there are no recognizable
> files in or around the /etc directory, I can modify. MacOS X has the
> sysctl command, but there is no kern.shmmax parameter to read or set.
> This is a MacOS X SPECIFIC question, and solutions for other UNIXen
> don't quite apply.

Since OSX is basically BSD under the hood, I'd expect BSD-ish solutions
to be the place to look.  Our notes about BSD systems say that a
kernel rebuild is the only way to alter SHMMAX on those kernels :-(

Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Hi Chad,

good try, but there is unfortunately no parameter related to memory.
sysctl -a displays all of the parameters and their current settings,
nothing amongst them which looks like it's of help here.

Thanks for the help, I guess, I have to see if I can talk to somebody
@ Apple or one of the darwin developer's groups.

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

Re: Increasing Shared Memory - on MacOS X

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Chris-

This thread from Darwin might help you identify someone who is in the know
about shared memory:

http://www.darwinfo.org/devlist.php3?number=1385

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser  nickf@ontko.com  Phone 1.765.935.4283  Fax 1.765.962.9788