Обсуждение: VACUUM ANALYZE--how often?

VACUUM ANALYZE--how often?

От
jboes@nexcerpt.com (Jeff Boes)
Дата:
Our database has about 70 tables.  Only a half-dozen or so have more
than 100K rows, and all of these change (99% inserts, 10K-50K rows)
during an average day.

VACUUM ANALYZE takes over an hour, and it's edging up by a couple
minutes per day.

Is there a way to look at the DEBUG stats from the VACUUM command
(written to the postmaster log) to determine what the optimum interval
would be between VACUUMs? (Perhaps I could do three of the "big"
tables on odd-numbered days, and the rest on even-numbered days?)

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE--how often?

Дата:
jboes@nexcerpt.com (Jeff Boes) writes:
> Our database has about 70 tables.  Only a half-dozen or so have more
> than 100K rows, and all of these change (99% inserts, 10K-50K rows)
> during an average day.

> VACUUM ANALYZE takes over an hour, and it's edging up by a couple
> minutes per day.

Care to try 7.2?

            regards, tom lane

Re: VACUUM ANALYZE--how often?

От
Jeff Boes
Дата:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 00:42:52 -0500
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> > VACUUM ANALYZE takes over an hour, and it's edging up by a couple
> > minutes per day.
>
> Care to try 7.2?

We will, but due to other issues we can't until things stabilize in
some other areas.  Even then, how often is just often enough?  Is it
different in 7.1 and 7.2?

--
Jeff Boes                                             vox 616.226.9550
Database Engineer                                     fax 616.349.9076