Обсуждение: PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Hi all,

I got postgres 7.1.3 to compile for the most part, there are a few
libs which didn't make it, but I don't think they are part of the
problem.
After installing everything I did the initdb which worked just fine.
I got the postmaster up just fine, too. Then, when I tried 'createdb
msms' I got an error that the backend has disconnected - the
postmaster was still up though.
When I tried again, I got messages that the directory I was trying to
create already existed. I tried this a few times to no avail.
I also tried this with the postgres.pkg (sort of what an rpm is for
RedHat Linux) file which I installed before I went to compile
everything myself.

I currently have the drive formatted with the Apple HFS+ filesystem,
I'm not sure if it would make a difference if I would format that
with UFS. I have a spare 10 GB drive and I'm willing to put myself
though 10 hours of installation vows ... any hints?

Best regards,
Chris

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

Re: PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

Дата:
Chris Ruprecht <chrup999@yahoo.com> writes:
> I got the postmaster up just fine, too. Then, when I tried 'createdb
> msms' I got an error that the backend has disconnected - the
> postmaster was still up though.
> When I tried again, I got messages that the directory I was trying to
> create already existed. I tried this a few times to no avail.

A guess is that there's some sort of problem with the
    system("cp -r ....")
call that CREATE DATABASE uses to copy template1.  But I don't see why
that'd cause a backend crash.  You'll need to trace through the code to
learn more, in any case.  Look in src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c.

BTW, although PG 7.1 is reported to run okay under 10.0.4, we have
heard unconfirmed reports that it needs patches for 10.1.  You might
want to look around for those before proceeding.

            regards, tom lane

[Solution] PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

От
Russ McBride
Дата:
Hi Chris,

I went through this pain a few weeks ago.  Some us couldn't get
through the make phase for PG on Mac 10.1; others made it through the
make phase, but then got weird "backend disconnected" errors.  A
couple of the guys who are working on the OpenACS project (the open
source version of Philip Greenspun's cool web publishing system)
coded up some very necessary patches, since they use PG for their
backend database. (I'm waffling between Apple's WebObjects and some
version of the ACS system, but in either case I'll be using
PostgreSQL as my backend database too.)

Anyway, all the installation instructions for getting PG running on
10.0.x/10.1 are on a web page I put up (although it might be a bit
too basic for you):

http://www.psyex.com/techdocs/pgonx.html

Let me know if you find any typos.  There shouldn't be any errors,
since I've had a least a few others get up and running with the
directions there.  Hope that helps,

Russ

>Hi all,
>
>I got postgres 7.1.3 to compile for the most part, there are a few
>libs which didn't make it, but I don't think they are part of the
>problem.
>After installing everything I did the initdb which worked just fine.
>I got the postmaster up just fine, too. Then, when I tried 'createdb
>msms' I got an error that the backend has disconnected - the
>postmaster was still up though.
>When I tried again, I got messages that the directory I was trying
>to create already existed. I tried this a few times to no avail.
>I also tried this with the postgres.pkg (sort of what an rpm is for
>RedHat Linux) file which I installed before I went to compile
>everything myself.
>
>I currently have the drive formatted with the Apple HFS+ filesystem,
>I'm not sure if it would make a difference if I would format that
>with UFS. I have a spare 10 GB drive and I'm willing to put myself
>though 10 hours of installation vows ... any hints?
>
>Best regards,
>Chris

Re: [Solution] PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Hi Russ,

Your pages certainly helped - it did the trick - I'm now running
PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on my PowerBook! Excellent! My next project is to
get the GDLIB to compile here and to get a Tk/Tcl package installed -
I need the one for image upload/manipulation and the other for pgMail
to work ...

Thank you very much for the help.

Best regards,
Chris.

>Hi Chris,
>
>I went through this pain a few weeks ago.  Some us couldn't get
>through the make phase for PG on Mac 10.1; others made it through
>the make phase, but then got weird "backend disconnected" errors.  A
>couple of the guys who are working on the OpenACS project (the open
>source version of Philip Greenspun's cool web publishing system)
>coded up some very necessary patches, since they use PG for their
>backend database. (I'm waffling between Apple's WebObjects and some
>version of the ACS system, but in either case I'll be using
>PostgreSQL as my backend database too.)
>
>Anyway, all the installation instructions for getting PG running on
>10.0.x/10.1 are on a web page I put up (although it might be a bit
>too basic for you):
>
>http://www.psyex.com/techdocs/pgonx.html
>
>Let me know if you find any typos.  There shouldn't be any errors,
>since I've had a least a few others get up and running with the
>directions there.  Hope that helps,
>
>Russ
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I got postgres 7.1.3 to compile for the most part, there are a few
>>libs which didn't make it, but I don't think they are part of the
>>problem.
>>After installing everything I did the initdb which worked just
>>fine. I got the postmaster up just fine, too. Then, when I tried
>>'createdb msms' I got an error that the backend has disconnected -
>>the postmaster was still up though.
>>When I tried again, I got messages that the directory I was trying
>>to create already existed. I tried this a few times to no avail.
>>I also tried this with the postgres.pkg (sort of what an rpm is for
>>RedHat Linux) file which I installed before I went to compile
>>everything myself.
>>
>>I currently have the drive formatted with the Apple HFS+
>>filesystem, I'm not sure if it would make a difference if I would
>>format that with UFS. I have a spare 10 GB drive and I'm willing to
>>put myself though 10 hours of installation vows ... any hints?
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Chris

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

Re: PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

От
Stuart Bishop
Дата:
On Saturday, October 27, 2001, at 10:25  AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Chris Ruprecht <chrup999@yahoo.com> writes:
>> I got the postmaster up just fine, too. Then, when I tried 'createdb
>> msms' I got an error that the backend has disconnected - the
>> postmaster was still up though.
>> When I tried again, I got messages that the directory I was trying to
>> create already existed. I tried this a few times to no avail.
>
> A guess is that there's some sort of problem with the
>     system("cp -r ....")
> call that CREATE DATABASE uses to copy template1.  But I don't see why
> that'd cause a backend crash.  You'll need to trace through the code to
> learn more, in any case.  Look in src/backend/commands/dbcommands.c.
>
> BTW, although PG 7.1 is reported to run okay under 10.0.4, we have
> heard unconfirmed reports that it needs patches for 10.1.  You might
> want to look around for those before proceeding.

Patches and details can be found at
http://www.psyex.com/techdocs/pgonx.html

After upgrading from 10.0.4 to 10.1, createdb and dropdb both stopped
working
(backend has disconnected errors). Building fresh under 10.1 failed
without
the patches.
--
Stuart Bishop <zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au>
http://shangri-la.dropbear.id.au/

Re: [Solution] PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Hi Russ,

Your pages certainly helped - it did the trick - I'm now running
PostgreSQL 7.1.3 on my PowerBook! Excellent! My next project is to
get the GDLIB to compile here and to get a Tk/Tcl package installed -
I need the one for image upload/manipulation and the other for pgMail
to work ...

Thank you very much for the help.

Best regards,
Chris.

>Hi Chris,
>
>I went through this pain a few weeks ago.  Some us couldn't get
>through the make phase for PG on Mac 10.1; others made it through
>the make phase, but then got weird "backend disconnected" errors.  A
>couple of the guys who are working on the OpenACS project (the open
>source version of Philip Greenspun's cool web publishing system)
>coded up some very necessary patches, since they use PG for their
>backend database. (I'm waffling between Apple's WebObjects and some
>version of the ACS system, but in either case I'll be using
>PostgreSQL as my backend database too.)
>
>Anyway, all the installation instructions for getting PG running on
>10.0.x/10.1 are on a web page I put up (although it might be a bit
>too basic for you):
>
>http://www.psyex.com/techdocs/pgonx.html
>
>Let me know if you find any typos.  There shouldn't be any errors,
>since I've had a least a few others get up and running with the
>directions there.  Hope that helps,
>
>Russ
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>I got postgres 7.1.3 to compile for the most part, there are a few
>>libs which didn't make it, but I don't think they are part of the
>>problem.
>>After installing everything I did the initdb which worked just
>>fine. I got the postmaster up just fine, too. Then, when I tried
>>'createdb msms' I got an error that the backend has disconnected -
>>the postmaster was still up though.
>>When I tried again, I got messages that the directory I was trying
>>to create already existed. I tried this a few times to no avail.
>>I also tried this with the postgres.pkg (sort of what an rpm is for
>>RedHat Linux) file which I installed before I went to compile
>>everything myself.
>>
>>I currently have the drive formatted with the Apple HFS+
>>filesystem, I'm not sure if it would make a difference if I would
>>format that with UFS. I have a spare 10 GB drive and I'm willing to
>>put myself though 10 hours of installation vows ... any hints?
>>
>>Best regards,
>>Chris

Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

Re: [Solution] PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

Дата:
Just FYI --- I have succeeded in making current development sources
build and run out-of-the-box on MacOS X 10.1.  Aside from the linker
changes, Apple seems to have introduced a nasty bug in the system()
library call, but fortunately that can be worked around.

The system() fix just missed making it into 7.2beta2, but if you'd
like to try it for yourselves, you can grab a more recent nightly
snapshot tarball from dev/postgresql-snapshot.tar.gz on any PG FTP
mirror.

            regards, tom lane

Re: [Solution] PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

От
Chris Ruprecht
Дата:
Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for the good news! I was able to compile 7.2b2
the other day and got it to work, too, with the patches Russ has
described. But I don't want to be running beta software on my
production box right now - I'm sure you can understand that ;-). Any
indication when 7.2 Final will be coming out? A X-Mas present, maybe?

Something completely different: I believe GreatBridge is no longer.
Who is the driving force behind the further development of PostGreSQL
right now - and if some of you guys do this full time, what is your
motivation and how do you survive?

Best regards,
Chris

--
Chris Ruprecht
Network grunt and bit pusher extraordinaíre

Re: [Solution] PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

Дата:
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thank you very much for the good news! I was able to compile 7.2b2
> the other day and got it to work, too, with the patches Russ has
> described. But I don't want to be running beta software on my
> production box right now - I'm sure you can understand that ;-). Any
> indication when 7.2 Final will be coming out? A X-Mas present, maybe?

I am pushing for a pre-Christmas final and I think it is probable,
particularly because beta is going so well.

> Something completely different: I believe GreatBridge is no longer.
> Who is the driving force behind the further development of PostGreSQL
> right now - and if some of you guys do this full time, what is your
> motivation and how do you survive?

I have a full-time job with a PostgreSQL support company in Japan called
SRA.  Others are continuing to work as they did before being employed by
a PostgreSQL company and weighing options.  GB never steered PostgreSQL.
We continue as a primarily volunteer effort as we have in the past.

Re: [Solution] PG 7.1.3 & MacOS X (10.1)

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
At 10:26 12/11/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Something completely different: I believe GreatBridge is no longer. Who is
>the driving force behind the further development of PostGreSQL right now -
>and if some of you guys do this full time, what is your motivation and how
>do you survive?

PostgreSQL is a community driven by technological challenges, friendship
and the idea that freedom is the best political system. A short history can
be read at http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?history.html

/JMP