Обсуждение: Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

От
"Nick Fankhauser"
Дата:
Does PostgreSQL support (or some day will support) "partitioned tables"?
This is a feature currently available in oracle which allows you to
physically separate the data for a table based on values in a set of columns
and attach or remove the files from the table.

While searching for the answer in the existing Docs & Archives, I noted that
a table will be split across files automatically to deal with situations
where the required space exceeds operating system limits, so it appears that
at least part of the concept already exists, but I found nothing about a way
to organize the data into a particular file or take a file that hold part of
a table off-line without making a mess. This would be a great enhancement
for warehousing applications such as ours, where the ability take a
particular large chunk of data on & off line quickly is important.

Alternately, does anyone have an idea about how to address this need in a
different way using existing tools?

-Nick

Nick Fankhauser

    nickf@doxpop.com  Phone 1.765.965.7363  Fax 1.765.962.9788
doxpop - Court records at your fingertips - http://www.doxpop.com/

Re: Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

Дата:
"Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> Does PostgreSQL support (or some day will support) "partitioned tables"?

It's not on anyone's radar screen AFAIK.

> Alternately, does anyone have an idea about how to address this need in a
> different way using existing tools?

Make a view that's a UNION of the component tables, plus rules that
cause inserts to go into the appropriate components.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

Дата:
> "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> > Does PostgreSQL support (or some day will support) "partitioned tables"?
>
> It's not on anyone's radar screen AFAIK.

We would need the Hubble telescope to see that one.  :-)

Re: Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

От
"Brian Baquiran"
Дата:
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in message
> "Nick Fankhauser" <nickf@ontko.com> writes:
> > Does PostgreSQL support (or some day will support) "partitioned tables"?
>
> It's not on anyone's radar screen AFAIK.
>
> > Alternately, does anyone have an idea about how to address this need in
> > different way using existing tools?
>
> Make a view that's a UNION of the component tables, plus rules that
> cause inserts to go into the appropriate components.

Tried this in 7.1.2, but it returns ERROR:  "Views on unions not
implemented."

> regards, tom lane

Re: Re: Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

Дата:
"Brian Baquiran" <brianb@edsamail.com> writes:
>> Make a view that's a UNION of the component tables, plus rules that
>> cause inserts to go into the appropriate components.

> Tried this in 7.1.2, but it returns ERROR:  "Views on unions not
> implemented."

Then you are not using 7.1.2.  7.0.* I'd believe.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Intentionally splitting data in a table across files.

От
Anuradha Ratnaweera
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 09:55:55AM -0500, Nick Fankhauser wrote:

> Alternately, does anyone have an idea about how to address this need in a
> different way using existing tools?

On Linux, try RAID 0. Read Software-RAID-HOWTO.

Anuradha

--

Debian GNU/Linux (kernel 2.4.6-pre6)

"A mind is a terrible thing to have leaking out your ears."
-- The League of Sadistic Telepaths