Обсуждение: password politic

password politic

От
"Miguel Gonzalez"
Дата:
Dear All,

 I am trying to configure the access to the postgreSQL server through web. I
would like that someone could give
a general idea of how the password politic works in PostgreSQL.

 Let me explain what I have tried so far.

 I want to do access to PostgreSQL using password encryption. What I have
read is that in that case you need to use
the passwd file.

 I tried to use the commands for adding a user to the system (create user or
createuser on the system prompt) but I have
seen that in that case, postgreSQL dont add a entry for the new user in the
passwd file. BUT if I use the command "pg_passwd passwd" and gives the
details for the new user, then it does add the entry to the passwd file, but
not in the pg_pwd file where stores the names of the users of postgreSQL (I
tried to access through the psql command to the database and the user doesnt
exist after only have added using pg_passwd).

 Does this mean that I have to do this two steps?. I am developing an
administration application under C++ Builder and I would like to add users
from that application using SQL, trigger, fuctions or whatever. How can I do
it without doing it manually?

 I hope I have explained myseft clearly.

 Thank you in advance and sorry for my English

 Miguel

Re: password politic

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Miguel Gonzalez writes:

>  I want to do access to PostgreSQL using password encryption. What I have
> read is that in that case you need to use
> the passwd file.

Wrong.

RE: password politic

От
"Miguel Gonzalez"
Дата:
thank you for your short reply but it would much more helpful if you give me
any idea of how the password politic works.

Thanks in advance

 Miguel

> >  I want to do access to PostgreSQL using password encryption. What I
have
> > read is that in that case you need to use
> > the passwd file.
>
> Wrong.
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter

RE: password politic

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Miguel Gonzalez writes:

> thank you for your short reply but it would much more helpful if you give me
> any idea of how the password politic works.

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.1/postgres/auth-methods.html#AEN13248

RE: password politic

От
"Miguel Gonzalez"
Дата:
dear all,

 I have been reading through all the documentation about user
authentification and still dont have a clear idea. Let me know
if I am right. By the way, I am using postgreSQL 7.0.3.

In the documentation Ive read that in need to execute in the psql shell the
command inserto into pg_group whenever I want
to add a new group. I used create group instead (why cant I use it??? ) and
checked the table pg_group and got the right result and have an entry for
the new group in that system table. Aftewards I add a user with the create
user command in the psql shell and granted the access permissions with the
"grant" command and added the new user to the group with the command "alter
group mygroup add user new_user". Everything seems to work fine, apart of
the detail that I need to set the password for the postgres user in the
system with the command "alter user". Am I doing everything fine?

 In the pg_hba.conf file Ive got the following entries:

 local        all
crypt
 host         all        127.0.0.1        255.255.255.255          crypt

 Please give some feedback

 Thank you very much in advance

 Miguel