Обсуждение: Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation

Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation

От
William L James
Hi there:

We are running PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on RedHat Linux 6.2 and
have encountered a few strange problems that continue to
elude us - namely INSERT and DELETE functions that end
abnormally, but do not include any information as to why (the
JDBC connection just seems to have gone away).  Trying to
further diagnose the situation, I have been successful in starting
the Postgres logging (by including the following in the postgresql
script - su -l postgresql -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
/usr/bin/postmaster start >>/var/log/postgresql 2>&1"), but
when the weekly logrotate.d function kicks in, Postgres logging
stops.  We also have trouble doing a simple restart - I wind up
having to do a stop and then a start minutes later.  Can anyone
explain how to get Postgres to log and to be able to rotate the
log periodically?  Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill James
I/NET, Inc.
Email: mailto:bjames@inetmi.com
WWW: http://www.inetmi.com

Re: Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
William L James writes:

> script - su -l postgresql -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
> /usr/bin/postmaster start >>/var/log/postgresql 2>&1"), but
> when the weekly logrotate.d function kicks in, Postgres logging
> stops.

The logging probably continues to go to the rotated-away file.  The
typical log rotation cron job presumes that the daemons close the log
files periodically.  This is not the case with PostgreSQL.  A good
solution is to pipe your log output to a small program that does the log
rotating (or simply closes the log file once in a while), like rotatelogs
from Apache.

Re: Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> William L James writes:
> > script - su -l postgresql -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
> > /usr/bin/postmaster start >>/var/log/postgresql 2>&1"), but
> > when the weekly logrotate.d function kicks in, Postgres logging
> > stops.

> The logging probably continues to go to the rotated-away file.  The
> typical log rotation cron job presumes that the daemons close the log

The logrotate.d script included in the RPM is intended for a
syslog-generated logfile.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation

От
root
Дата:
Be sure to stop postgres, rotate your log (or move it out of the /var/log
directory and then rotate it), and restart postgresql.  That will solve your
problem.  Hopefully you don't need a 24x7 available database as this might take
a few seconds for your server to complete.

On Wed, 07 Mar 2001, William L James wrote:
> Hi there:
>
> We are running PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on RedHat Linux 6.2 and
> have encountered a few strange problems that continue to
> elude us - namely INSERT and DELETE functions that end
> abnormally, but do not include any information as to why (the
> JDBC connection just seems to have gone away).  Trying to
> further diagnose the situation, I have been successful in starting
> the Postgres logging (by including the following in the postgresql
> script - su -l postgresql -c "/usr/bin/pg_ctl -D $PGDATA -p
> /usr/bin/postmaster start >>/var/log/postgresql 2>&1"), but
> when the weekly logrotate.d function kicks in, Postgres logging
> stops.  We also have trouble doing a simple restart - I wind up
> having to do a stop and then a start minutes later.  Can anyone
> explain how to get Postgres to log and to be able to rotate the
> log periodically?  Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill James
> I/NET, Inc.
> Email: mailto:bjames@inetmi.com
> WWW: http://www.inetmi.com

> http://www.postgresql.org/search.mpl

Rodney Hampton
veritime.com
248-528-9766

----Your analogies DO NOT need to work as long as your code DOES.

Re: Postgres/Postmaster logging and log rotation

От
Robert Hentosh
Дата:
Try the copytruncate directive in the logrotate configuration file. (See 'man logrotate').  This should allow it to
workwithout restarting postgresql. But as the man file says, there is a small chance of losing some log entries.