Обсуждение: PostgreSQL + SMP

PostgreSQL + SMP

От
paitoon butri
Дата:
Dear, All
    I want to know that Postgres support SMP or Dual
Processor, or not. If it support, how to configure?

Thank all

http://shopping.yahoo.com/

RE: PostgreSQL + SMP

От
Matthew
Дата:
Postgre is not threaded, but every connection gets it's own process.  The OS
will distribute the processes across the processors.  Not sure I said that
very will.

Basically a single connection will not be any faster with SMP, but multiple
connections will be.

Re: PostgreSQL + SMP

Дата:
> Postgre is not threaded, but every connection gets it's own process.  The OS
> will distribute the processes across the processors.  Not sure I said that
> very will.
>
> Basically a single connection will not be any faster with SMP, but multiple
> connections will be.

Actually, even a single process will be faster because all other system
process will run on other cpu's.

Re: PostgreSQL + SMP

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [001210 12:19] wrote:
> > Postgre is not threaded, but every connection gets it's own process.  The OS
> > will distribute the processes across the processors.  Not sure I said that
> > very will.
> >
> > Basically a single connection will not be any faster with SMP, but multiple
> > connections will be.
>
> Actually, even a single process will be faster because all other system
> process will run on other cpu's.

Depending on how idle you are, the large overhead of bus locking
can cause a lot of perf degredation(sp?) for the idle SMP case.

Re: PostgreSQL + SMP

Дата:
> * Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [001210 12:19] wrote:
> > > Postgre is not threaded, but every connection gets it's own process.  The OS
> > > will distribute the processes across the processors.  Not sure I said that
> > > very will.
> > >
> > > Basically a single connection will not be any faster with SMP, but multiple
> > > connections will be.
> >
> > Actually, even a single process will be faster because all other system
> > process will run on other cpu's.
>
> Depending on how idle you are, the large overhead of bus locking
> can cause a lot of perf degredation(sp?) for the idle SMP case.

True.  I was thinking more of the backend having to give up the cpu to
allow other processes to run.  With two cpu's, I believe one backend can
camp out on a cpu forever as long as the other cpu doesn't get busy.

Re: PostgreSQL + SMP

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> [001210 12:28] wrote:

> > > Actually, even a single process will be faster because all other system
> > > process will run on other cpu's.
> >
> > Depending on how idle you are, the large overhead of bus locking
> > can cause a lot of perf degredation(sp?) for the idle SMP case.
>
> True.  I was thinking more of the backend having to give up the cpu to
> allow other processes to run.  With two cpu's, I believe one backend can
> camp out on a cpu forever as long as the other cpu doesn't get busy.

That's true, as long as there's no contention for the locks then it's
pretty cheap.