Обсуждение: postmaster error log

postmaster error log

От
"G. Anthony Reina"
Дата:
I'm trying to start the postmaster exactly how it is written in the
installation instructions:

nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &

However, RedHat Linux 6.1 gives me an 'Ambiguous output redirect '
error. This is probably because I'm using TCSH instead of BASH.

Is there a way that I can redirect like this in TCSH? Currently, I just
use:

nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log &

However, the errors are written to stdout and not to pgserver.log (as I
would want it).

-Tony

Re: postmaster error log

От
Alfred Perlstein
Дата:
* G. Anthony Reina <reina@nsi.edu> [000830 18:00] wrote:
> I'm trying to start the postmaster exactly how it is written in the
> installation instructions:
>
> nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &
>
> However, RedHat Linux 6.1 gives me an 'Ambiguous output redirect '
> error. This is probably because I'm using TCSH instead of BASH.
>
> Is there a way that I can redirect like this in TCSH? Currently, I just
> use:
>
> nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log &
>
> However, the errors are written to stdout and not to pgserver.log (as I
> would want it).

You need to read your shell's manpage, try:

  nohup postmaster -i >& pgserver.log &

Re: postmaster error log

От
"G. Anthony Reina"
Дата:
Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> You need to read your shell's manpage, try:
>
>   nohup postmaster -i >& pgserver.log &

This worked. The output still gets directed to stdout but is also logged
into the file.

Thanks.
-Tony

RE: postmaster error log

От
Hal Lynch
Дата:
>I'm trying to start the postmaster exactly how it is written in the
>installation instructions:

>nohup postmaster -i > pgserver.log 2>&1 &

>However, RedHat Linux 6.1 gives me an 'Ambiguous output redirect '
>error. This is probably because I'm using TCSH instead of BASH.

>Is there a way that I can redirect like this in TCSH?

I had the same problem, try:

           nohup postmaster -i >& pgserver.log

hal