Обсуждение: multi processor

multi processor

От
Loïc TREGOUËT
Дата:
            Hello ,

Maybe my question is stupid but , i can't test it .

Is Postgresql , can use more than one processor for one request or is
depend of something else ?

    thanks

P.S:If someone give me a multi-processor computer , i could make the
test and you will not have to reply to me ! No ?

RE: multi processor

От
Nicolas Huillard
Дата:
I think Postgres won't do anything to handle multiple processors. Since you have one Postgres process per DB
connection,multiples active connections will be spread around your processors, and the overall speed will be increased,
justlike any other software on an SMP machine with an SMP system.

Nicolas Huillard

-----Message d'origine-----
De:    Loïc TREGOUËT [SMTP:loic@ext.cri74.org]
Date:    vendredi 9 juin 2000 15:06
À:    pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Objet:    multi processor

            Hello ,

Maybe my question is stupid but , i can't test it .

Is Postgresql , can use more than one processor for one request or is
depend of something else ?

    thanks

P.S:If someone give me a multi-processor computer , i could make the
test and you will not have to reply to me ! No ?

Re: multi processor

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Loïc TREGOUËT writes:

> Is Postgresql , can use more than one processor for one request or is
> depend of something else ?

PostgreSQL is at the mercy of your operating system regarding SMP. In many
cases this means that the smallest granularity is at the process level, so
one connection per processor.

Re: multi processor

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Loïc TREGOUËT writes:

> Is Postgresql , can use more than one processor for one request or is
> depend of something else ?

Not if your operating system doesn't support multiple processors per one
(single-thread) process. Most don't. What you'll most likely end up with
is one processor per process, that is, connection.