Обсуждение: postgres types

postgres types

От
"Vladimir V. Zolotych"

Hello all,

Can I have UNSIGNED integer in PostgreSQL ?
E.g. how should I describe type of field to have
full range of 32 bits? If I describe filed as INT4,
I'll get SIGNED integer, insn't it?

Thanks!

--
Vladimir Zolotych                         gsmith@eurocom.od.ua

Re: postgres types

Дата:
OID should be an unsigned int.  Let us know if there are any problems.

[Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]

> Hello all,
>
> Can I have UNSIGNED integer in PostgreSQL ?
> E.g. how should I describe type of field to have
> full range of 32 bits? If I describe filed as INT4,
> I'll get SIGNED integer, insn't it?
>
> Thanks!
>

> --
> Vladimir Zolotych                         gsmith@eurocom.od.ua

Re: postgres types

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> OID should be an unsigned int.  Let us know if there are any problems.

The oid type is for storing oids, not arbitrary numbers. It might happen
to do that too, but it isn't designed for it. To get unsigned numbers use
a check contraint. Then everyone knows what's going on; don't rely on the
particulars of the implementation.

Anyway ...

peter=# create table foo (a oid, b text);
CREATE
peter=# insert into foo values (-1, 'zzz');
INSERT 18730 1
peter=# select * from foo;
 a  |  b
 -1 | zzz
(1 row)

> > Can I have UNSIGNED integer in PostgreSQL ?
> > E.g. how should I describe type of field to have
> > full range of 32 bits? If I describe filed as INT4,

int8/bigint

> > I'll get SIGNED integer, insn't it?

Per SQL, all numbers are signed.