Обсуждение: bugs?

bugs?

От
ZioBudda
Дата:
Hi, for my error I have delete the file pg_log from pgsql/ and now my
database do not works anymore. I can enter in the database but if I make
db1=> \dt

I get:
Couldn't find any tables!

why it? How can I rescue all my data?
If there is no way I think that postgresql is not good for massice
application

tnx
ciaoz

Ho sentito urla di sudore... che schifo...
--
Michel <ZioBudda> Morelli          michel@enter.it
                    http://www.ziobudda.net

Re: [ADMIN] bugs?

От
Lincoln Spiteri
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, michel@michel.enter.it wrote:
> Hi, for my error I have delete the file pg_log from pgsql/ and now my
> database do not works anymore. I can enter in the database but if I make
> db1=> \dt
>
> I get:
> Couldn't find any tables!
>
> why it? How can I rescue all my data?
> If there is no way I think that postgresql is not good for massice
> application

Or maybe you are not good for massice application :)

Lincoln Spiteri

Manufacturing Systems
STMicroelectronics, Malta

e-mail: lincoln.spiteri@st.com

Re: [ADMIN] bugs?

От
ZioBudda
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Lincoln Spiteri wrote:
> Or maybe you are not good for massice application :)

ok. my mistake is massice=big..
but the problem remain and your email is lessfull.

Il tuo programma più importante prende più memoria di quella che hai.
Se hai abbastanza memoria, non hai abbastanza spazio su disco
Se un programma sta in memoria ed ha abbastanza spazio su disco, si
bloccherà.
Se il programma va a gonfie vele, sta aspettando il momento peggiore per
bloccarsi.
--
Michel <ZioBudda> Morelli          michel@enter.it
                    http://www.ziobudda.net
Italian Linux FAQ           http://faq.ziobudda.net/
Italian Linux Press                http://www.ziobudda.net/ILP/

Re: [ADMIN] bugs?

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Check you pg_user vs your pg_class if there are tables whose owner
(pg_class.relowner) has no corresponding user entry (pg_user.usesysid).

On 2000-01-11, ZioBudda mentioned:

> Hi, for my error I have delete the file pg_log from pgsql/ and now my
> database do not works anymore. I can enter in the database but if I make
> db1=> \dt
>
> I get:
> Couldn't find any tables!
>
> why it? How can I rescue all my data?
> If there is no way I think that postgresql is not good for massice
> application
>

> tnx
> ciaoz
>
> Ho sentito urla di sudore... che schifo...
> --
> Michel <ZioBudda> Morelli          michel@enter.it
>                     http://www.ziobudda.net
> Italian Linux FAQ                  http://faq.ziobudda.net/
> Italian Linux Press                http://www.ziobudda.net/ILP/
>

> ************

Re: [ADMIN] bugs?

От
Lincoln Spiteri
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, michel@michel.enter.it wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Lincoln Spiteri wrote:
> > Or maybe you are not good for massice application :)
> >

> ok. my mistake is massice=big..
> but the problem remain and your email is lessfull.

Sorry if I offend you but what I disliked specificaly about your post is the
sweeping remark;

"If there is no way I think that postgresql is not good for massice
application"

If you are managing a massive/big application then you should be more careful
about what you delete and make sure you have backups. Say you were
administering such an application and had root access to the server and by
mistake you delete something which makes the OS unrunnable, say libc or
something like that. Would you then write to a list and proclaim that if there
is nothing you can do about it then Linux is not good for big applications? I
think many would beg to differ and question your suitability to manage a big
application. You should know the risks.

OTOH perhaps it would be good to have some documentation stating which files
are critical to normal running of the system.

Lincoln Spiteri

Manufacturing Systems
STMicroelectronics, Malta

e-mail: lincoln.spiteri@st.com

Re: [ADMIN] bugs?

От
ZioBudda
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Lincoln Spiteri wrote:
> Sorry if I offend you but what I disliked specificaly about your post is the
> sweeping remark;

sorry for the reply, but the delete is not started from my habd (read:
"boss' hands" :) )

> If you are managing a massive/big application then you should be more careful
> about what you delete and make sure you have backups.

I have a backup of it (old, 1 week) but the replace of pg_log file has no
effect

> Say you were
> administering such an application and had root access to the server and by
> mistake you delete something which makes the OS unrunnable, say libc or
> something like that. Would you then write to a list and proclaim that if there
> is nothing you can do about it then Linux is not good for big applications?

I'm using Linux since 7 years old...

Sorry again for the first reply...

Sul Grande Mazinger girava Linux, su Boss Robot un sistema operativo
Microsoft.
--
Michel <ZioBudda> Morelli          michel@enter.it
                    http://www.ziobudda.net
Italian Linux FAQ           http://faq.ziobudda.net/
Italian Linux Press                http://www.ziobudda.net/ILP/

Re: [ADMIN] bugs?

От
ZioBudda
Дата:
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, ZioBudda wrote:
> sorry for the reply, but the delete is not started from my habd (read:
> "boss' hands" :) )

argh..
habd=hand