Обсуждение: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Leonard Boyce
Platform: Ubuntu Linux Trusty x64
Language: en_us
Window Manager: KDE
Version: 1.18.1
Event: Crash dialog when right clicking a collapsed PgAdmin window in Task panel
Replication Steps: Unable to replicate

ASSERT INFO:
../src/common/wincmn.cpp(478): assert "GetEventHandler() == this"
failed in ~wxWindowBase(): any pushed event handlers must have been
removed

BACKTRACE:
[1] wxWindowBase::~wxWindowBase()
[2] wxControlBase::~wxControlBase()
[3] wxTextCtrl::~wxTextCtrl()
[4] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
[5] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
[6] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
[7] wxGridWindow::~wxGridWindow()
[8] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
[9] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
[10] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
[11] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
[12] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
[13] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
[14] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
[15] wxTopLevelWindowGTK::~wxTopLevelWindowGTK()
[16] wxFrameBase::~wxFrameBase()
[17] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
[18] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
[19] wxAppConsoleBase::DeletePendingObjects()
[20] wxAppConsoleBase::ProcessIdle()
[21] wxAppBase::ProcessIdle()
[22] wxApp::DoIdle()
[23] g_main_context_dispatch
[24] g_main_loop_run
[25] gtk_main
[26] wxGUIEventLoop::DoRun()
[27] wxEventLoopBase::Run()
[28] wxAppConsoleBase::MainLoop()
[29] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
[30] __libc_start_main

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Dave Page
Дата:
As there is no pgAdmin code in that stacktrace, I'd suggest this is a
wxWidgets bug. There are a few weird assertions that tend to fail in
wx, but will work in a release build with no problems, so you may want
to try to use a release instead of debug build.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Leonard Boyce
<leonard.boyce@lucidlayer.com> wrote:
> Platform: Ubuntu Linux Trusty x64
> Language: en_us
> Window Manager: KDE
> Version: 1.18.1
> Event: Crash dialog when right clicking a collapsed PgAdmin window in Task panel
> Replication Steps: Unable to replicate
>

> ASSERT INFO:
> ../src/common/wincmn.cpp(478): assert "GetEventHandler() == this"
> failed in ~wxWindowBase(): any pushed event handlers must have been
> removed
>
> BACKTRACE:
> [1] wxWindowBase::~wxWindowBase()
> [2] wxControlBase::~wxControlBase()
> [3] wxTextCtrl::~wxTextCtrl()
> [4] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
> [5] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
> [6] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
> [7] wxGridWindow::~wxGridWindow()
> [8] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
> [9] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
> [10] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
> [11] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
> [12] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
> [13] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
> [14] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
> [15] wxTopLevelWindowGTK::~wxTopLevelWindowGTK()
> [16] wxFrameBase::~wxFrameBase()
> [17] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
> [18] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
> [19] wxAppConsoleBase::DeletePendingObjects()
> [20] wxAppConsoleBase::ProcessIdle()
> [21] wxAppBase::ProcessIdle()
> [22] wxApp::DoIdle()
> [23] g_main_context_dispatch
> [24] g_main_loop_run
> [25] gtk_main
> [26] wxGUIEventLoop::DoRun()
> [27] wxEventLoopBase::Run()
> [28] wxAppConsoleBase::MainLoop()
> [29] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
> [30] __libc_start_main

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Leonard Boyce
Дата:
Hi Dave,

I was not aware I was running a debug build. I'm running the deb from
apt.postgresql.org

Is there some way to check exactly the build (normal vs debug)

Leonard

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> As there is no pgAdmin code in that stacktrace, I'd suggest this is a
> wxWidgets bug. There are a few weird assertions that tend to fail in
> wx, but will work in a release build with no problems, so you may want
> to try to use a release instead of debug build.
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Leonard Boyce
> <leonard.boyce@lucidlayer.com> wrote:
>> Platform: Ubuntu Linux Trusty x64
>> Language: en_us
>> Window Manager: KDE
>> Version: 1.18.1
>> Event: Crash dialog when right clicking a collapsed PgAdmin window in Task panel
>> Replication Steps: Unable to replicate
>>

>> ASSERT INFO:
>> ../src/common/wincmn.cpp(478): assert "GetEventHandler() == this"
>> failed in ~wxWindowBase(): any pushed event handlers must have been
>> removed
>>
>> BACKTRACE:
>> [1] wxWindowBase::~wxWindowBase()
>> [2] wxControlBase::~wxControlBase()
>> [3] wxTextCtrl::~wxTextCtrl()
>> [4] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
>> [5] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
>> [6] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
>> [7] wxGridWindow::~wxGridWindow()
>> [8] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
>> [9] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
>> [10] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
>> [11] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
>> [12] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
>> [13] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
>> [14] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
>> [15] wxTopLevelWindowGTK::~wxTopLevelWindowGTK()
>> [16] wxFrameBase::~wxFrameBase()
>> [17] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
>> [18] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
>> [19] wxAppConsoleBase::DeletePendingObjects()
>> [20] wxAppConsoleBase::ProcessIdle()
>> [21] wxAppBase::ProcessIdle()
>> [22] wxApp::DoIdle()
>> [23] g_main_context_dispatch
>> [24] g_main_loop_run
>> [25] gtk_main
>> [26] wxGUIEventLoop::DoRun()
>> [27] wxEventLoopBase::Run()
>> [28] wxAppConsoleBase::MainLoop()
>> [29] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
>> [30] __libc_start_main
>>

>> --

> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Leonard Boyce
<leonard.boyce@lucidlayer.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I was not aware I was running a debug build. I'm running the deb from
> apt.postgresql.org

I don't know how those guys build pgAdmin - though in this case, it
may actually be the wxWidgets libraries. I don't use Debian/Ubuntu, so
I don't know if they come from postgresql.org or the distro vendor.

> Is there some way to check exactly the build (normal vs debug)

You could try running

objdump --syms <filename>

on pgAdmin and the wxWidgets libraries and see if it outputs any
useful looking symbols.

> Leonard
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> As there is no pgAdmin code in that stacktrace, I'd suggest this is a
>> wxWidgets bug. There are a few weird assertions that tend to fail in
>> wx, but will work in a release build with no problems, so you may want
>> to try to use a release instead of debug build.
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:24 PM, Leonard Boyce
>> <leonard.boyce@lucidlayer.com> wrote:
>>> Platform: Ubuntu Linux Trusty x64
>>> Language: en_us
>>> Window Manager: KDE
>>> Version: 1.18.1
>>> Event: Crash dialog when right clicking a collapsed PgAdmin window in Task panel
>>> Replication Steps: Unable to replicate
>>>

>>> ASSERT INFO:
>>> ../src/common/wincmn.cpp(478): assert "GetEventHandler() == this"
>>> failed in ~wxWindowBase(): any pushed event handlers must have been
>>> removed
>>>
>>> BACKTRACE:
>>> [1] wxWindowBase::~wxWindowBase()
>>> [2] wxControlBase::~wxControlBase()
>>> [3] wxTextCtrl::~wxTextCtrl()
>>> [4] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
>>> [5] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
>>> [6] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
>>> [7] wxGridWindow::~wxGridWindow()
>>> [8] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
>>> [9] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
>>> [10] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
>>> [11] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
>>> [12] wxWindowBase::Destroy()
>>> [13] wxWindowBase::DestroyChildren()
>>> [14] wxWindow::~wxWindow()
>>> [15] wxTopLevelWindowGTK::~wxTopLevelWindowGTK()
>>> [16] wxFrameBase::~wxFrameBase()
>>> [17] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
>>> [18] wxRegionBase::~wxRegionBase()
>>> [19] wxAppConsoleBase::DeletePendingObjects()
>>> [20] wxAppConsoleBase::ProcessIdle()
>>> [21] wxAppBase::ProcessIdle()
>>> [22] wxApp::DoIdle()
>>> [23] g_main_context_dispatch
>>> [24] g_main_loop_run
>>> [25] gtk_main
>>> [26] wxGUIEventLoop::DoRun()
>>> [27] wxEventLoopBase::Run()
>>> [28] wxAppConsoleBase::MainLoop()
>>> [29] wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**)
>>> [30] __libc_start_main
>>>

>>> --
>>

>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Leonard Boyce
Дата:
Hi Dave,

Sorry to say, no symbols in the pgadmin3 binary or any of the wx libs.

Guess I'll just have to hope it does not happen again.

Thanks,
Leonard

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:41 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 4:35 PM, Leonard Boyce
> <leonard.boyce@lucidlayer.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I was not aware I was running a debug build. I'm running the deb from
>> apt.postgresql.org
>
> I don't know how those guys build pgAdmin - though in this case, it
> may actually be the wxWidgets libraries. I don't use Debian/Ubuntu, so
> I don't know if they come from postgresql.org or the distro vendor.
>
>> Is there some way to check exactly the build (normal vs debug)
>
> You could try running
>
> objdump --syms <filename>
>
> on pgAdmin and the wxWidgets libraries and see if it outputs any
> useful looking symbols.
>
>> Leonard
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:31 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>> As there is no pgAdmin code in that stacktrace, I'd suggest this is a
>>> wxWidgets bug. There are a few weird assertions that tend to fail in
>>> wx, but will work in a release build with no problems, so you may want
>>> to try to use a release instead of debug build.

>>> --
>>> Dave Page
>>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>>> Twitter: @pgsnake
>>>
>>> EnterpriseDB UK: http://www.enterprisedb.com
>>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Christoph Berg
Re: Leonard Boyce 2014-08-29 <CAKj1m=K7usp+_Mp3C9QMyadF7n9C=gJHdaqrvHKtqRwmbd9V3g@mail.gmail.com>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Sorry to say, no symbols in the pgadmin3 binary or any of the wx libs.

The debug symbols (from -g2 -O2) are in a separate package,
pgadmin3-dbg. The binaries in "pgadmin3" are stripped, same for the
libs.

That said, we ship a non-debug build in terms of what the build system
says:

Building a debug version of pgAdmin:    No
Statically linking pgAdmin:        No
Building a Mac OS X appbundle:        No

There's several ways to make the stock Debian and apt.postgresql.org
pgadmin3 packages crash:

Dave, would you have any suggestions what we could try to get the
problem fixed? Would a proper debug build yield more insight?

Have you tried building with wx3.0 on your OS?

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi Christoph

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
> Re: Leonard Boyce 2014-08-29 <CAKj1m=K7usp+_Mp3C9QMyadF7n9C=gJHdaqrvHKtqRwmbd9V3g@mail.gmail.com>
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> Sorry to say, no symbols in the pgadmin3 binary or any of the wx libs.
>
> The debug symbols (from -g2 -O2) are in a separate package,
> pgadmin3-dbg. The binaries in "pgadmin3" are stripped, same for the
> libs.
>
> That said, we ship a non-debug build in terms of what the build system
> says:
>
> Building a debug version of pgAdmin:    No
> Statically linking pgAdmin:             No
> Building a Mac OS X appbundle:          No

OK. Judging from the stacktrace, it's wxWidgets that's at fault here.

> There's several ways to make the stock Debian and apt.postgresql.org
> pgadmin3 packages crash:

> Dave, would you have any suggestions what we could try to get the
> problem fixed? Would a proper debug build yield more insight?

Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It
might be worth trying a debug build, but I'm not going to hold my
breath.

> Have you tried building with wx3.0 on your OS?

wx3.0 *should* work, but most of us are still using 2.8 so it's
definitely not as well tested.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 05/09/2014 15:01, Dave Page wrote:

> Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
> pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
> why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It

Hi Dave,

Out of curiosity, what are you using in place of wxWidgets?

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Scott Furry
Дата:
On 05/09/14 08:01 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> OK. Judging from the stacktrace, it's wxWidgets that's at fault here.

>> There's several ways to make the stock Debian and apt.postgresql.org
>> pgadmin3 packages crash:
>>
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=750557
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=760350
>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754114
>>
>> Dave, would you have any suggestions what we could try to get the
>> problem fixed? Would a proper debug build yield more insight?
> Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
> pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
> why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It
> might be worth trying a debug build, but I'm not going to hold my
> breath.
>> Have you tried building with wx3.0 on your OS?
> wx3.0 *should* work, but most of us are still using 2.8 so it's
> definitely not as well tested.
I'm not totally familiar with the crashes of pgAdmin3 and wx3.0 or the
history between the projects. I had tried to build pgAdmin from git
against wx3.0 git-sourced build a couple of months back and was
unsuccessful. I was a little pressed for time at that point so I grabbed
pgAdmin3 from the Arch repositories and didn't give the matter another
thought until I read this thread reply.

I'm disappointed that development would move away from wxWidgets. I'm
sure there are very valid reasons much discussed on the development
mailing list (I'm not subscribed to that list). I'm not a big fan of the
other GUI-widget kit alternatives out there (GTK, QT, and others).

Being a "concerned user", I cross-posted this discussion to the
wxWidgets forums
(http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40030). Maybe we can
get some traction to help resolve these issues?

Regards
Scott

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi Ray

On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 05/09/2014 15:01, Dave Page wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
>> pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
>> why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> Out of curiosity, what are you using in place of wxWidgets?

Python, Flask, Bootstrap and backbone.js.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PgAdmin Crash Dialog

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Scott Furry <scott.wl.furry@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/09/14 08:01 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> OK. Judging from the stacktrace, it's wxWidgets that's at fault here.

>>> There's several ways to make the stock Debian and apt.postgresql.org
>>> pgadmin3 packages crash:
>>>
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=750557
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=760350
>>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=754114
>>>
>>> Dave, would you have any suggestions what we could try to get the
>>> problem fixed? Would a proper debug build yield more insight?
>>
>> Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
>> pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
>> why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It
>> might be worth trying a debug build, but I'm not going to hold my
>> breath.
>>>
>>> Have you tried building with wx3.0 on your OS?
>>
>> wx3.0 *should* work, but most of us are still using 2.8 so it's
>> definitely not as well tested.
>
> I'm not totally familiar with the crashes of pgAdmin3 and wx3.0 or the
> history between the projects. I had tried to build pgAdmin from git against
> wx3.0 git-sourced build a couple of months back and was unsuccessful. I was
> a little pressed for time at that point so I grabbed pgAdmin3 from the Arch
> repositories and didn't give the matter another thought until I read this
> thread reply.
>
> I'm disappointed that development would move away from wxWidgets. I'm sure
> there are very valid reasons much discussed on the development mailing list
> (I'm not subscribed to that list). I'm not a big fan of the other GUI-widget
> kit alternatives out there (GTK, QT, and others).

There are numerous other reasons to move, that are unrelated to
wxWidgets except for the fact that it's a native C++ framework. Not
least of which is that there are very few people who want to
contribute to pgAdmin who are experienced with C++.

> Being a "concerned user", I cross-posted this discussion to the wxWidgets
> forums (http://forums.wxwidgets.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=40030). Maybe we
> can get some traction to help resolve these issues?

The issue that doublemax looked at is not the one under discussion on
this thread, and does indeed look legitimate (Ashesh - please take a
look at that). The one on this thread doesn't have any pgAdmin code in
the stack that I can see, though obviously we're initialising wx.
Unfortunately when users log pgAdmin issues on third party trackers
such as Debians, they rarely get back to us here.

For the record, over the last 12+ years we've been using wxWidgets,
numerous of the pgAdmin developers have engaged the wxWidgets
community to try to help get various issues fixed. On some issues
we've been successful (Stefan Csomor and Julian Smart in particular
have been very helpful on a number of occasions, and both of which
I've engaged with personally, multiple times), and others just don't
get resolved. There are lots of bugs in the wxWidgets trac that
reference pgAdmin, and lots that have come from us that don't.

--

Re: Dave Page 2014-09-05 <CA+OCxozrmN80xZVFyTtyCNSfgBtWGBHcR0RRb+sWVFN0zLXX1w@mail.gmail.com>
> OK. Judging from the stacktrace, it's wxWidgets that's at fault here.

From the low-level nature of the errors I'd also think so, yes.

> Unfortunately there are a number of such bugs that are not actually in
> pgAdmin and we've been unable to get fixed. That's one of the reasons
> why we're starting work on pgAdmin 4 which won't use wxWidgets. It
> might be worth trying a debug build, but I'm not going to hold my
> breath.

As another data point, the 1.20 beta was also reported to be crashing,
though it worked for me in some 30s quick tests.

I haven't tried a -O0 build yet.

> > Have you tried building with wx3.0 on your OS?
>
> wx3.0 *should* work, but most of us are still using 2.8 so it's
> definitely not as well tested.

It'd be nice if someone on non-Debian/Ubuntu could report success or
failure with wx3.0 so we know if it's wx3.0 in general, or the Debian
build of it.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/