Обсуждение: Font size control in edit data window

Font size control in edit data window

От
Colin Beckingham
Дата:
pgadmin latest dev from git, using wxw 2.9.4:

I'm having an issue with font and font size in the edit data window.
Fonts and sizes, plus Ctrl+mouse wheel operations work fine, but
attempting to autoadjust a line height leads to problems.

In File - Options - Query Tool - Query Editor
I have set the font to monospace 10. Good, the data opens with the right
font and size. OK so far.

The line number in the grid (left margin) appears to be the right (UI
miscellaneous?) family and size but it is in bold. OK. So now you hover
the mouse over the bottom of the row and double click to get an
automatic adjustment of the height of the row. This works for the line
number which is properly displayed, but the row of data is clipped at
the bottom. This means you have to readjust the line height larger
again, which is ok on a line by line basis.

As you dynamically mouse wheel the font larger clipping gets worse for
all rows but particularly those which have been autoadjusted smaller.
Mouse wheel font size adjustment is fine provided you have not tried to
adjust a line height.

Normal behaviour in spreadsheets is that when a range of rows is
selected, the row height operates on all rows selected. In the data view
when a range is selected, only the bottom row gets adjusted.

So in summary, a couple of thoughts:
1. Is there any benefit to be gained from having two places to change
the fonts used on a page? In this case it seems to lead to problems. I
guess an alternative might be to autoadjust height based on data and not
line number.

2. Row height change for the entire range?

3. Option to reset line heights to default over a range?

Thanks.
--
---
Colin Beckingham

Re: Font size control in edit data window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 09:55 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> pgadmin latest dev from git, using wxw 2.9.4:
>
> I'm having an issue with font and font size in the edit data window.
> Fonts and sizes, plus Ctrl+mouse wheel operations work fine, but
> attempting to autoadjust a line height leads to problems.
>
> In File - Options - Query Tool - Query Editor
> I have set the font to monospace 10. Good, the data opens with the right
> font and size. OK so far.
>
> The line number in the grid (left margin) appears to be the right (UI
> miscellaneous?

Yes.

> ) family and size but it is in bold

In bold to highlight the fact that it is not table's data.

> . OK. So now you hover
> the mouse over the bottom of the row and double click to get an
> automatic adjustment of the height of the row. This works for the line
> number which is properly displayed, but the row of data is clipped at
> the bottom. This means you have to readjust the line height larger
> again, which is ok on a line by line basis.
>
> As you dynamically mouse wheel the font larger clipping gets worse for
> all rows but particularly those which have been autoadjusted smaller.
> Mouse wheel font size adjustment is fine provided you have not tried to
> adjust a line height.

Yes. We suppose that, if you adjusted the line height, you want it to
keep it this way.

> Normal behaviour in spreadsheets is that when a range of rows is
> selected, the row height operates on all rows selected. In the data view
> when a range is selected, only the bottom row gets adjusted.

We could change that. I think it is just something we didn't think of.

> So in summary, a couple of thoughts:
> 1. Is there any benefit to be gained from having two places to change
> the fonts used on a page? In this case it seems to lead to problems. I
> guess an alternative might be to autoadjust height based on data and not
> line number.

I don't follow you here. There is only one way to change the font (in
the options dialog).

> 2. Row height change for the entire range?

+1. Added a ticket for this.

> 3. Option to reset line heights to default over a range?

Refresh data?

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

On 08/26/2012 03:23 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 09:55 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
>> pgadmin latest dev from git, using wxw 2.9.4:
>>
>> I'm having an issue with font and font size in the edit data window

>> So in summary, a couple of thoughts:
>> 1. Is there any benefit to be gained from having two places to change
>> the fonts used on a page? In this case it seems to lead to problems. I
>> guess an alternative might be to autoadjust height based on data and not
>> line number.
>>

> I don't follow you here. There is only one way to change the font (in
> the options dialog).

I guess my point here is that there are two different controls for
display of fonts on a data grid.

1. from the main pgadmin window, File - Options - Browser - UI Misc.
This controls the size of the font for the row number and column titles
in the data grid.

2. from the main pgadmin window, File - Options - Query Tool - Query
editor also allows you to select a font family and size which controls
the display of data inside the data grid.

So when it comes to operations like row and column resizing you have a
potential conflict. If the two fonts are set to widely different sizes
this can lead to partly displayed information.

One way to ensure that you have no issues is to set both 1 and 2 to the
same font family and size and request data be displayed in bold. Then
resizing rows does not cover data. Alternatively if the font size for
data is smaller than the row number font then data display is not
covered during height operations.

This might be another case where having both controls on the same dialog
page would highlight the fact that there are two different controls and
that the right combination is important.

--
---
Colin Beckingham
613-454-5369
http://www.it4gh.com

Re: Font size control in edit data window

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Sun, 2012-08-26 at 04:17 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:

> On 08/26/2012 03:23 AM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 09:55 -0400, Colin Beckingham wrote:
> >> pgadmin latest dev from git, using wxw 2.9.4:
> >>
> >> I'm having an issue with font and font size in the edit data window

> >> So in summary, a couple of thoughts:
> >> 1. Is there any benefit to be gained from having two places to change
> >> the fonts used on a page? In this case it seems to lead to problems. I
> >> guess an alternative might be to autoadjust height based on data and not
> >> line number.
> >>

> > I don't follow you here. There is only one way to change the font (in
> > the options dialog).
> >

> I guess my point here is that there are two different controls for
> display of fonts on a data grid.
>
> 1. from the main pgadmin window, File - Options - Browser - UI Misc.
> This controls the size of the font for the row number and column titles
> in the data grid.
>
> 2. from the main pgadmin window, File - Options - Query Tool - Query
> editor also allows you to select a font family and size which controls
> the display of data inside the data grid.

True.

> So when it comes to operations like row and column resizing you have a
> potential conflict. If the two fonts are set to widely different sizes
> this can lead to partly displayed information.

True.

> One way to ensure that you have no issues is to set both 1 and 2 to the
> same font family and size and request data be displayed in bold. Then
> resizing rows does not cover data. Alternatively if the font size for
> data is smaller than the row number font then data display is not
> covered during height operations.

That would be a way to fix this. Unfortunately, we want that headers are
display in another way than the grid contents.