Обсуждение: Server status hanging on OS X

Server status hanging on OS X

От
MattK
Дата:
When connecting to a v8.4.9 server on with PgAdmin v1.14.2 on OS X (SL and Lion) and launching the Server Status window, PgAdmin displays the status window with highlighted process info, but then the entire application becomes unresponsive, and shows as not responding in the Mac activity monitor, consuming ~10% CPU.

This issue was also present in PgAdmin v1.14.1, but seemed to occur less frequently (subjective). The server is question is accessed by a local ssh forward (ssh -L), but this may or not be related, as I have been able to use this configuration in the past without issue.

I also use DbVisualizer, which has a similar but less detailed display (essentially pg_stat_activity), that does not seem to have any issue through the same connection. I can execute "select * from pg_stat_activity" via a PgAdmin query successfully on the connection.

What other information can I collect to diagnose the cause?

Re: Server status hanging on OS X

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 17/03/2012 19:06, MattK a écrit :
> When connecting to a v8.4.9 server on with PgAdmin v1.14.2 on OS X (SL
> and Lion) and launching the Server Status window, PgAdmin displays the
> status window with highlighted process info, but then the entire
> application becomes unresponsive, and shows as not responding in the Mac
> activity monitor, consuming ~10% CPU.
>
> This issue was also present in PgAdmin v1.14.1, but seemed to occur less
> frequently (subjective). The server is question is accessed by a local
> ssh forward (ssh -L), but this may or not be related, as I have been
> able to use this configuration in the past without issue.
>
> I also use DbVisualizer, which has a similar but less detailed display
> (essentially pg_stat_activity), that does not seem to have any issue
> through the same connection. I can execute "select * from
> pg_stat_activity" via a PgAdmin query successfully on the connection.
>
> What other information can I collect to diagnose the cause?

How many times does the Server Status refresh the display?

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Server status hanging on OS X

От
MattK
Дата:
I can reproduce the issue in v1.14.0 and v1.14.1 as well. This does not happen on all of my Postgres instances, the one I am trying to actively monitor that exhibits the problem is through the ssh port forward.

debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
[...]

Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM, MattK <mksql@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I can reproduce the issue in v1.14.0 and v1.14.1 as well. This does not
> happen on all of my Postgres instances, the one I am trying to actively
> monitor that exhibits the problem is through the ssh port forward.

> constant traffic stream, with messages like this repeating:
>
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134

Could it be trying to load a very large log file?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Server status hanging on OS X

От
MattK
Very likely. I had some large log files (>1GB). Setting the log rotation size to 100MB seems to have brought my the server status monitor back to life.

Thanks!

> I can reproduce the issue in v1.14.0 and v1.14.1 as well. This does not
> happen on all of my Postgres instances, the one I am trying to actively
> monitor that exhibits the problem is through the ssh port forward.

> constant traffic stream, with messages like this repeating:
>
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134

Could it be trying to load a very large log file?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Server status hanging on OS X

От
MattK
Дата:
With reduced logging, I still get regular periods of unresponsiveness, even when Don't Refresh is set in the monitor window.

Does PgAdmin look at all logs in pg_log, or only the current one?

Is there a way to disable log monitoring, as a test for the cause of this issue?

Very likely. I had some large log files (>1GB). Setting the log rotation size to 100MB seems to have brought my the server status monitor back to life.

Thanks!

> I can reproduce the issue in v1.14.0 and v1.14.1 as well. This does not
> happen on all of my Postgres instances, the one I am trying to actively
> monitor that exhibits the problem is through the ssh port forward.

> constant traffic stream, with messages like this repeating:
>
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134
> debug2: channel 5: window 1997018 sent adjust 100134

Could it be trying to load a very large log file?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Server status hanging on OS X

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Tue, 2012-03-20 at 12:53 -0700, MattK wrote:
> With reduced logging, I still get regular periods of unresponsiveness, even when Don't Refresh is set in the monitor
window.

> Does PgAdmin look at all logs in pg_log, or only the current one?

Only the selected one in the combobox.

> Is there a way to disable log monitoring, as a test for the cause of this issue?

Yes, in the menu View, checkbox Logfile to uncheck.