Обсуждение: Bug - Rows in Query Output pane fail to grow in height when font size preference size is larger

Bug - Rows in Query Output pane fail to grow in height when font size preference size is larger

От
Basil Bourque
Дата:
I'm new to Postgres and pgAdmin -- Where should I report a bug in pgAdmin?

I found an annoying cosmetic bug in pgAdmin where the rows in the data grid showing the result of a SQL execution are
notre-sized to accommodate a very large font size set in preferences.

1) Set Preferences > Query Tool (tab) > Font to a larger size, such as 24 points. Click OK to apply.

2) Quit pgAdmin, to be sure new preferences take effect. Restart pgAdmin.

3) Select Tools > Query Tool, to open an interactive SQL session window.

4) Execute some SQL, such as:  select now();

Notice the bug: Row 1 in the Output pane is not tall enough to show the large font size of the text. The text is
clipped vertically.

While cosmetic, this bug affects:
- People doing presentations on overhead projectors where increasing the font size makes reading easier for the
audience.
- People with a preference for larger fonts, often needed on certain computers screens.
- People with visual/sight challenges

pgAdmin3 1.12.2 on Mac OS X 10.6.5, installed by Postgres 9.0.x.

And thanks to all who work on pgAdmin. It has been very useful to me, and I've found it to be very stable and
well-built.

--Basil Bourque

Re: Bug - Rows in Query Output pane fail to grow in height when font size preference size is larger

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
Le 17/02/2011 00:39, Basil Bourque a écrit :
> I'm new to Postgres and pgAdmin -- Where should I report a bug in pgAdmin?
>
> I found an annoying cosmetic bug in pgAdmin where the rows in the data grid showing the result of a SQL execution are
notre-sized to accommodate a very large font size set in preferences.

> 1) Set Preferences > Query Tool (tab) > Font to a larger size, such as 24 points. Click OK to apply.
>
> 2) Quit pgAdmin, to be sure new preferences take effect. Restart pgAdmin.
>
> 3) Select Tools > Query Tool, to open an interactive SQL session window.
>

> 4) Execute some SQL, such as:  select now();
>
> Notice the bug: Row 1 in the Output pane is not tall enough to show the large font size of the text. The text is
clipped vertically.

> While cosmetic, this bug affects:
> - People doing presentations on overhead projectors where increasing the font size makes reading easier for the
audience.
> - People with a preference for larger fonts, often needed on certain computers screens.
> - People with visual/sight challenges

You need to set the font size accordingly in the preferences tab because
the size of the row depends on this font size.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Bug - Rows in Query Output pane fail to grow in height when font size preference size is larger

От
Basil Bourque
Дата:
>> 1) Set Preferences > Query Tool (tab) > Font to a larger size, such as 24 points. Click OK to apply.
>>
>> Notice the bug: Row 1 in the Output pane is not tall enough to show the large font size of the text. The text is
clipped vertically.

> You need to set the font size accordingly in the preferences tab because
> the size of the row depends on this font size.

The bug is that the size of the row (height) does NOT react to the point size specified in Preferences.

--Basil Bourque

Basil Bourque-2 wrote:

> The bug is that the size of the row (height) does NOT react to the point
> size specified in Preferences.

I think what Guillaume meant is the main Font selection at the top of the
Preferences tab which affects all the font in pgAdmin III. You changed the
Font in the Query Tool tab.

I'm on Windows 7 so it might be a bit different on Mac.

Re: Re: Bug - Rows in Query Output pane fail to grow in height when font size preference size is larger

От
Basil Bourque
Дата:
>> The bug is that the size of the row (height) does NOT react to the point
>> size specified in Preferences.
>
> I think what Guillaume meant is the main Font selection at the top of the
> Preferences tab which affects all the font in pgAdmin III. You changed the
> Font in the Query Tool tab.
>
> I'm on Windows 7 so it might be a bit different on Mac.

No, the bug happens in either case. Setting a large font size in pgAdmin 1.14.0 in either:
• Options > Preferences > Font
• Options > Query Tool > Font
causes the fonts to get bigger, but any table of data generated for display in the "Output Pane" of a SQL Query window
failsto grow its row size vertically. So the larger font is clipped and unreadable.

Screen shot:
http://www.gridsgonewild.com/postgres/pgadmin_font_size_bug.png

--Basil Bourque

Re: Re: Bug - Rows in Query Output pane fail to grow in height when font size preference size is larger

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-10-12 at 23:17 -0700, Basil Bourque wrote:
> >> The bug is that the size of the row (height) does NOT react to the point
> >> size specified in Preferences.
> >
> > I think what Guillaume meant is the main Font selection at the top of the
> > Preferences tab which affects all the font in pgAdmin III. You changed the
> > Font in the Query Tool tab.
> >
> > I'm on Windows 7 so it might be a bit different on Mac.
>
> No, the bug happens in either case. Setting a large font size in pgAdmin 1.14.0 in either:
> • Options > Preferences > Font
> • Options > Query Tool > Font
> causes the fonts to get bigger, but any table of data generated for display in the "Output Pane" of a SQL Query
windowfails to grow its row size vertically. So the larger font is clipped and unreadable.

> Screen shot:
> http://www.gridsgonewild.com/postgres/pgadmin_font_size_bug.png

It also happens on Linux. Now fixed. Thanks :)

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com

> It also happens on Linux. Now fixed. Thanks :)

Is there somewhere I could download a snapshot for OSX?  I have some
demos later this month and would love to be able to enlarge the text a bit.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Re: Bug - Rows in Query Output pane fail to grow in height when font size preference size is larger

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2011-10-26 at 18:02 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > It also happens on Linux. Now fixed. Thanks :)
>
> Is there somewhere I could download a snapshot for OSX?

Nope. If you asked for a Linux or Windows snapshot, I could probably
build one. But Mac OS X, I can only compile a debug version of it and
I'm quite sure it won't be usable anywhere else.

Maybe Dave can build that for you.

--
Guillaume http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info http://www.dalibo.com