Обсуждение: PgAgent without wxWidgets?

PgAgent without wxWidgets?

От
Peter
Дата:
I cant compile (standalone) PgAgent 1.9 on FreeBSD - it requires a huge
number of X11 packages. Compilation breaks in one of them, and anyway I
dont want X on pure server machine. Is there a way to compile pgagent
without this? It's a pure command-line program anyway, why should it
need wxWidgets?

Peter

Re: PgAgent without wxWidgets?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 9:11 AM, Peter <zelts@ruksis.com> wrote:
> I cant compile (standalone) PgAgent 1.9 on FreeBSD - it requires a huge
> number of X11 packages. Compilation breaks in one of them, and anyway I
> dont want X on pure server machine. Is there a way to compile pgagent
> without this? It's a pure command-line program anyway, why should it
> need wxWidgets?

wxWidgets isn't just GUI classes, and pgAgent doesn't require any of
the GUI dependencies to run. You should be able to build on a
workstation and then copy the resulting binary to your server without
having to install any X components.

Oh, and if you have a pgAgent that claims to be 1.9, then you have
some pretty old development code. Why not use the released 3.0.0
version?

--
Dave Page

Re: PgAgent without wxWidgets?

От
"Peter"
Дата:
Sorry, I meant pgagent that comes with pgadmin 1.9. That IS 3.0.0 release right?

That does not change my original issue however... I cant set up FreeBSD workstation just to compile dang pgagent - a
lotof hassle (besides, don’t have a spare workstation). Isnt there really a way how to compile pgagent without invoking
allthose GUI dependencies?

Thanks!
Peter

> I cant compile (standalone) PgAgent 1.9 on FreeBSD - it requires a huge
> number of X11 packages. Compilation breaks in one of them, and anyway I
> dont want X on pure server machine. Is there a way to compile pgagent
> without this? It's a pure command-line program anyway, why should it
> need wxWidgets?

wxWidgets isn't just GUI classes, and pgAgent doesn't require any of
the GUI dependencies to run. You should be able to build on a
workstation and then copy the resulting binary to your server without
having to install any X components.

Oh, and if you have a pgAgent that claims to be 1.9, then you have
some pretty old development code. Why not use the released 3.0.0
version?

--
Dave Page

Re: PgAgent without wxWidgets?

От
"Benjamin Krajmalnik"
Дата:
Dave,
If all that is required is the pgagent binary (single file) I can send it to him since I have both x86 and amd64
versionsrunning.

Just want to make sure I send him everything he needs.

Дата:
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Peter <zelts@ruksis.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I meant pgagent that comes with pgadmin 1.9. That IS 3.0.0 release right?

No - pgAgent hasn't been included with pgAdmin since quite early in
the 1.9 development cycle, so I have no idea what you have.

> That does not change my original issue however... I cant set up FreeBSD workstation just to compile dang pgagent - a
lotof hassle (besides, don’t have a spare workstation). Isnt there really a way how to compile pgagent without invoking
allthose GUI dependencies?

If you can compile wxWidgets without all the GUI dependencies, then
pgAgent should also compile. I've never tried this though, and don't
know if it's possible.

--
Dave Page

Re: PgAgent without wxWidgets?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Benjamin Krajmalnik <kraj@illumen.com> wrote:
> Dave,
> If all that is required is the pgagent binary (single file) I can send it to him since I have both x86 and amd64
versionsrunning.

> Just want to make sure I send him everything he needs.

Yes, as long as you use static linking (there's a cmake option for
that), it should just be a single binary (and the SQL scripts of
course).

Thanks.

--
Dave Page

Re: PgAgent without wxWidgets?

От
"Peter"
Дата:
OK, this is pgAgent 3.0.0. I know its separate from pgAgent, this is exactly why I tried to compile it.

I'll see if I can compile wxWidgets without GUI dependencies... thanks for the tip!