Обсуждение: Newbie [CentOS 5.2] initdb

Newbie [CentOS 5.2] initdb

От
Daneel
Дата:
While going through
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Detailed_installation_guides
and typing
service postgresql start
as root I got
"/var/lib/pgsql/data is missing. Use "service postgresql initdb" to
initialize the cluster first."

When I run service postgresql initdb, I get "se:     [FAILED]". However,   /var/lib/pqsql/data is created and user
postgresowns it.

But then I run
service postgresql start
and the very same error occurs..

Daneel

Re: Newbie [CentOS 5.2] initdb

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 12/08/2008 15:11, Daneel wrote:

> While going through
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Detailed_installation_guides
> and typing
> service postgresql start
> as root I got
> "/var/lib/pgsql/data is missing. Use "service postgresql initdb" to
> initialize the cluster first."

You should re-post to the pgsql-general mailing list, as you're more
likely to get an answer there; this one is for PgAdmin.

Ray.

rod@iol.ie

Re: Newbie [CentOS 5.2] initdb

От
jcvlz
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> On 12/08/2008 15:11, Daneel wrote:
>
>> While going through
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Detailed_installation_guides
>> and typing
>> service postgresql start
>> as root I got
>> "/var/lib/pgsql/data is missing. Use "service postgresql initdb" to
>> initialize the cluster first."
>
> You should re-post to the pgsql-general mailing list, as you're more likely
> to get an answer there; this one is for PgAdmin.
>
> Ray.

Daneel,

I didn't see a post on another list, so I'm guessing you're still
having problems.  I'm not sure which tut you were using from the wiki
you linked to, but section section 15.1 in the doc sums up
initialization, and the rest of chapter 15 explains what each command
is doing.

My guess is that you still need to create the default postgres DB.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/installation.html

-jcvlz

Re: Newbie [CentOS 5.2] initdb

От
Daneel
jcvlz wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>> On 12/08/2008 15:11, Daneel wrote:
>>
>>> While going through
>>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Detailed_installation_guides
>>> and typing
>>> service postgresql start
>>> as root I got
>>> "/var/lib/pgsql/data is missing. Use "service postgresql initdb" to
>>> initialize the cluster first."
>> You should re-post to the pgsql-general mailing list, as you're more likely
>> to get an answer there; this one is for PgAdmin.
>>
>> Ray.

> Daneel,
>
> I didn't see a post on another list, so I'm guessing you're still
> having problems.  I'm not sure which tut you were using from the wiki
> you linked to, but section section 15.1 in the doc sums up
> initialization, and the rest of chapter 15 explains what each command
> is doing.
>
> My guess is that you still need to create the default postgres DB.
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/installation.html
>
> -jcvlz
>  Thank you both, I've post it on pgsql.general, any tips on the topic
are welcome. I use 8.3.1 installed from RPM packages (only 3 necessary
used: postgresql-libs, postgresql and postgresql-server).

Daneel