Обсуждение: update using OID instead of PKEY?

update using OID instead of PKEY?

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:
We're observing that updates issued by the tabular view of a table
use OID instead of the PKEY when the table has OIDs.  Using pgAdmin3
version 1.4.2.

Specifically this is what we do:

Connect to a DB, drill down and select a table.  Select the "apply
filter and view data" icon and select a row based on the PKEY.  On
the resulting tabular view, alter one piece of data then commit it.
The query run on the DB server does the update "where oid=NNN"
instead of updating using the primary key like "where user_id=NNN".
Now, on a 60+ million row table which does not have an index on oid,
this obviously takes a long time...

On a table without oid's, it uses the PKEY as one would expect.

Is there some way to force pgAdmin to use the PKEY instead?  It seems
like a bad decision to ever use the OID when a PKEY exists, given
that the latter is guaranteed to have an index whereas the OID most
likely will not, given that they are somewhat deprecated.

Thanks!

Re: update using OID instead of PKEY?

От
"Dave Page"

Thanks - I've reversed it to favour a PKEY over oids when present. This
change will appear in 1.6.

Regards, Dave.

Re: update using OID instead of PKEY?

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:
On Aug 30, 2006, at 8:55 AM, Dave Page wrote:

>> We're observing that updates issued by the tabular view of a table
>> use OID instead of the PKEY when the table has OIDs.  Using pgAdmin3
>> version 1.4.2.
>
> Thanks - I've reversed it to favour a PKEY over oids when present.
> This
> change will appear in 1.6.

Awesome... is there some nightly build for windows that might have
this improvement?

Thanks.

Re: update using OID instead of PKEY?

От