Обсуждение: Error on pgAdminIII 1.2.2 and 1.4.0

Error on pgAdminIII 1.2.2 and 1.4.0

От
Keith
Дата:
Greetings,

I've reviewed the messages for the last few months and
googled my problem but cannot see an answer.

At work we installed pgSQL 8.0.4.  All the defaults
were accepted on the server (Win 2003).  At home I
installed also (Win XP), this time with all the
optional data types and functions.

Whenever I connect to the work server from home (but
not localhost) I get the following message: "Error:
pg_postmaster_starttime() does not exist.  HINT: No
function matches the given name and argument types.
You may need to add explicit type casts."

Additionally I cannot create new databases or
users/groups on the remote server.  I checked my
permissions and I am superuser.  Other people log in
with my credentials and everything works for them.
Nobody else reports the above error message.

I uninstall/reinstalled and then tried pgAdminIII
1.4.0 but the behavior is identical.  I also disabled
my sw firewall and reconfigured the hw to test ports.
Admittedly these issues may be unrelated, but I do not
understand the problem.

System Config
WinXP SP2 with all updates
Symantec Client Firewall
Linksys wifi router/firewall

Thanks in advance,

Keith

__________________________________
http://farechase.yahoo.com

Re: Error on pgAdminIII 1.2.2 and 1.4.0

От
Andreas Pflug
Keith wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've reviewed the messages for the last few months and
> googled my problem but cannot see an answer.
>
> At work we installed pgSQL 8.0.4.  All the defaults
> were accepted on the server (Win 2003).  At home I
> installed also (Win XP), this time with all the
> optional data types and functions.
>
> Whenever I connect to the work server from home (but
> not localhost) I get the following message: "Error:
> pg_postmaster_starttime() does not exist.  HINT: No
> function matches the given name and argument types.
> You may need to add explicit type casts."

This is very strange. pgAdmin checks for the existence of the function,
before trying to use it.
Only reason I could think of is some namespace issue. Is
pg_postmaster_starttime in some exotic schema, while pgAdmin expects it
in public or pg_catalog? Some search_path issue?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Error on pgAdminIII 1.2.2 and 1.4.0

От
Keith
Дата:
Hi Andreas,
 Your tip about a namespace did the trick.  I had
renamed the "public" schema which had caused all of my
problems.  I do not understand why. Returning the
schema name to "public" fixed everything.

Thank you,

Keith

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Error on pgAdminIII 1.2.2 and 1.4.0

От
"Dave Page"

pgAdmin expects pg_postmaster_starttime() to be in the public schema,
and an error occurs when it cannot find it there. Iirc, in 8.1
everything lives in pg_catalog so this shouldn't happen if you
drop/rename public on that version.

Regards, Dave