Обсуждение: Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version

Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Stephen McConnell schrieb:
> No Tino, PROFESSIONAL PROGRAMMING is an attitude.  I've been
> programming since 1974, both Open Source AND Paid Programming.  For the
> USAF, Private Industry and as an IBM Global Services Consultant and now
> on my own personal Open Source Project.
... yada yada...

well well... there was no childish comment unless you started with the
professinal programming in all caps. You use crappy OS and extend it
with even crappier third party software and then moan when things
start to get nasty ;) Its not Daves fault that gethostbyname() on
windows uses DNS subroutine when it has to look up a simple IP
address. Its also not the fault of Dave you have a strange configured
"personal firewall". Its just not Daves business. The application
works fine in the environment it was written for. There was
a bugreport and a fix for using unix sockets - which was really an
improvement.

I dont think adding a regex routine just to find out a shortcut
for translating a literal string which means an IP-address
is worth the effort - think that "professional programmers"
take efficiency in account. And adding a bunch of code just
for very very rare use cases for a function which should be
provided by the OS is rarely effective.

I wonder if windows telnet implementation works differently. I really
doubt it.

I'm sorry if I stepped on your feet.

Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> improvement.
>
> I dont think adding a regex routine just to find out a shortcut
> for translating a literal string which means an IP-address
> is worth the effort - think that "professional programmers"
> take efficiency in account. And adding a bunch of code just
> for very very rare use cases for a function which should be
> provided by the OS is rarely effective.

This is the very single report of DNS lookup problems. Until we added
extended information to FAQs, we had complaints about interrupted
connections, caused by misconfigured firewalls. We won't change pgAdmins
behaviour to catch bad installations, but continue to concentrate on
_valuable_ coding. There's enough sensible stuff on the wish list.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Andreas Pflug schrieb:
> Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>
>> improvement.
>>
>> I dont think adding a regex routine just to find out a shortcut
>> for translating a literal string which means an IP-address
>> is worth the effort - think that "professional programmers"
>> take efficiency in account. And adding a bunch of code just
>> for very very rare use cases for a function which should be
>> provided by the OS is rarely effective.
>

> This is the very single report of DNS lookup problems. Until we added
> extended information to FAQs, we had complaints about interrupted
> connections, caused by misconfigured firewalls. We won't change pgAdmins
> behaviour to catch bad installations, but continue to concentrate on
> _valuable_ coding. There's enough sensible stuff on the wish list.

Ah, and btw. Skimming thru the code "read professinonalism" (we take
every hint seriously ;)) it appears libpq would be to blame for
calling gethostbyname(). This is even outside of Daves skope.

Regards
Tino

Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:

> Ah, and btw. Skimming thru the code "read professinonalism" (we take
> every hint seriously ;)) it appears libpq would be to blame for
> calling gethostbyname(). This is even outside of Daves skope.

Yup, this is pgsql-hackers stuff. Or even better billg@microsoft.com.
Please don't forget to post his answer here, we're curious :->

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Firewall Locks Windows Version

От
Art Fore
Дата:
I have pgadminIII running on WinXP with no problems. I am using Computer  Associates EZfirewall and have the WinXP
firewallturned off. I also

had norton firewall at one time, an it worked with it, but I had to turn
off the winxp firewall.

Art