Обсуждение: copy and paste

copy and paste

От
Richard Hayward
Дата:
A thing I have to do all the time, with MSSQL, is copy a recordset
from one of the query tools, and then paste it into another
application, typically a spreadsheet for analysis or specialized
formatting.

In  pgadmin (on Windows at least) copy doesn't work.

Is this likely to be implemented?

What other client tool do people use for this?

regards
Richard

Re: copy and paste

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

Am Fr, den 24.09.2004 schrieb Richard Hayward um 1:18:
> A thing I have to do all the time, with MSSQL, is copy a recordset
> from one of the query tools, and then paste it into another
> application, typically a spreadsheet for analysis or specialized
> formatting.

What about just *using* the data in the spreadsheet?
You can use the datasource of postgres directly.

Works with OpenOffice and IIRC with Excel as well.

Analysis however should be done in the db if possible ;)

Regards
Tino

Re: copy and paste

От
"Jeff Green"
Дата:
Hi,
I've switched to Postgresql from MySQL recently and I have to
agree with
Richard that the copy and paste feature in MySQLcc is very useful as a
DB admin.

That and the ability to click on the column header and have the
displayed
recordset (re)sorted ...

            Regards,

Am Fr, den 24.09.2004 schrieb Richard Hayward um 1:18:
> A thing I have to do all the time, with MSSQL, is copy a recordset
> from one of the query tools, and then paste it into another
> application, typically a spreadsheet for analysis or specialized
> formatting.

What about just *using* the data in the spreadsheet?
You can use the datasource of postgres directly.

Works with OpenOffice and IIRC with Excel as well.

Analysis however should be done in the db if possible ;)

Regards
Tino

Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this email and
document(s) attached are for the exclusive use of the addressee and may
contain confidential, privileged and non-disclosable information. If the
recipient of this email is not the addressee, such recipient is strictly
prohibited from reading, photocopying, distribution or otherwise using this
email or its contents in any way. Please notify the Sapiens (UK) Ltd.
Systems Administrator via e-mail immediately at
networksupport@sapiens.co.uk, if you have received this email in error.

Disclaimer: The views, opinions and guidelines contained in this
confidential e-mail are those of the originating author and may not be
representative of Sapiens (UK) Ltd.

Re: copy and paste

От
"Dave Page"

That feature is on the todo list already:
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/development.php#todo. I miss it from SQL
Server Enterprise manager :-(
> That and the ability to click on the column header and have
> the displayed recordset (re)sorted ...

That's on the Sort/Filter options dialogue in 1.1.0+. You can set
sorting on 1 or more columns and select the direction for each, and you
can write custom filters using standard SQL syntax. There was a very
good reason why I didn't add column-click sorting, but I can't think of
it right now.

Regards, Dave.

Re: copy and paste

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Fr, den 24.09.2004 schrieb Richard Hayward um 1:18:
>
>>A thing I have to do all the time, with MSSQL, is copy a recordset
>>from one of the query tools, and then paste it into another
>>application, typically a spreadsheet for analysis or specialized
>>formatting.
>

> What about just *using* the data in the spreadsheet?
> You can use the datasource of postgres directly.

Very good idea.

> Works with OpenOffice and IIRC with Excel as well.
>
> Analysis however should be done in the db if possible ;)

I agree. Combining it is even better, e.g. pivot tables in excel from
database source.

Additionally, I'd like to point out that we *have* copy to clipboard in
pgadmin3 1.2B1 (view data and query tool), despite the fact that there's
no commonly accepted clipboard format that would make it really useful.
Consequently, copying data from one app to another will always be
non-trivial.

We had this discussion earlier, resulting in the todo item "Data
import/export tool incl. transformation". To be really useful, such a
tool must be not database system centric, but based on ODBC or similar,
to be db independent and able to warp data between systems. This is
clearly out of the pgadmin base tool's scope.
I don't know if there are good tools on the open source market for this,
since I usually don't use tools like that. I wouldn't object hosting
such a project and supplying the development backbone of The pgAdmin
Development Group (architecture, i18n, packaging...), but somebody would
need to show up to contribute quite a lot of work.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: copy and paste

От
Richard Hayward
Дата:
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:34:05 +0000, pgadmin@pse-consulting.de (Andreas
Pflug) wrote:

>Additionally, I'd like to point out that we *have* copy to clipboard in
>pgadmin3 1.2B1 (view data and query tool), despite the fact that there's
>no commonly accepted clipboard format that would make it really useful.
>Consequently, copying data from one app to another will always be
>non-trivial.

Thanks for your reply Andreas.

I downloaded the 1.2.0 beta 1 to play with.

Clicking on the top-left 'cell' of the data grid seems to select all
the records, but then ctrl-C doesnt copy any to the clipboard.

Also, dragging down the row headers multi-selects, but the grid doesnt
scroll beyond whats already visible.

How about in the options somewhere, being able to specify a field
delimiter? I usually use a tab because it pastes cleanly into Excel.

Please dont take this as complaining. I realize its beta, and its not
something I could offer to help code and......oh yes, its free.

regards
Richard