Обсуждение: make in fedora 2

make in fedora 2

От
Vic Cekvenich
Дата:
I am a linux newbie and want to run pgadmin on Fedora 2.

RPM's have a conflict so I tried configre/make.... make complains that
it needs and argument since there is no makefile it finds.

help?
tia,
.V

Re: make in fedora 2

От
"Scot L. Harris"
Дата:
On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 10:08, Vic Cekvenich wrote:
> I am a linux newbie and want to run pgadmin on Fedora 2.
>
> RPM's have a conflict so I tried configre/make.... make complains that
> it needs and argument since there is no makefile it finds.
>
> help?
> tia,

Just this week I was working on the same thing.

Bad news is that due to changes in the gtk+ packages that ship with
Fedora Core 2 the wxWindows code and subsequently pgadmin will not build
on Fedora Core 2.

Joe Conway on the GENERAL postgresql mailing list supplied this
information for me.  Apparently in the wxWindows package they access
internal gtk+ functions.  In the Fedora Core 2 gtk+ packages they no
longer export these internal functions so wxWindows is unable to access
them.

Joe Conway did figure out a fix.  He created a patch and rebuilt the
gtk+ package to export the internal functions.  Once that is rebuilt and
installed then you can build the wxWindows package and then the pgadmin
package.

Search in the GENERAL postgresql mailing list for the subject:

Bulding pgadmin on Fedora core 2.  Joe included the patch for gtk+ in
one of those messages.

I have not allocated time yet to test out the patch or modified
packages.

I was going to go look up the wxWindows site and see if they are working
on a fix to resolve this problem without having to change the gtk+
packages.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

Pie are not square.  Pie are round.  Cornbread are square.

Re: make in fedora 2

От
Vic Cekvenich
Дата:
Soo.... what is the status, is there a way a regular newbie can install
pgAdmin on FC2?

tia,
.V

Scot L. Harris wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 10:08, Vic Cekvenich wrote:
>

>>I am a linux newbie and want to run pgadmin on Fedora 2.
>>
>>RPM's have a conflict so I tried configre/make.... make complains that
>>it needs and argument since there is no makefile it finds.
>>
>>help?
>>tia,
>>

>Just this week I was working on the same thing.
>
>Bad news is that due to changes in the gtk+ packages that ship with
>Fedora Core 2 the wxWindows code and subsequently pgadmin will not build
>on Fedora Core 2.
>
>Joe Conway on the GENERAL postgresql mailing list supplied this
>information for me.  Apparently in the wxWindows package they access
>internal gtk+ functions.  In the Fedora Core 2 gtk+ packages they no
>longer export these internal functions so wxWindows is unable to access
>them.
>
>Joe Conway did figure out a fix.  He created a patch and rebuilt the
>gtk+ package to export the internal functions.  Once that is rebuilt and
>installed then you can build the wxWindows package and then the pgadmin
>package.
>
>Search in the GENERAL postgresql mailing list for the subject:
>
>Bulding pgadmin on Fedora core 2.  Joe included the patch for gtk+ in
>one of those messages.
>
>I have not allocated time yet to test out the patch or modified
>packages.
>
>I was going to go look up the wxWindows site and see if they are working
>on a fix to resolve this problem without having to change the gtk+
>packages.

Re: make in fedora 2

От
"Scot L. Harris"
Дата:
On Mon, 2004-07-05 at 21:24, Vic Cekvenich wrote:
> Soo.... what is the status, is there a way a regular newbie can install
> pgAdmin on FC2?
>
> tia,
> .V

It sounded like you could comment out the offending call with no
repercussions.  Check the thread for the details.

I have not tried this myself.  Currently connecting to my FC2 postresql
system from an RH8 box that I built pgamdin3 on .

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket.    -- George Orwell

Re: make in fedora 2

От
"Dave Page"

Andreas posted a message saying that CVS tip of wxWidgets seems to work
OK with the addition of a couple of patches. I can't easily produce FC2
snapshots regualarly, but I'll put it on my short term todo list to
install FC2 on a VM and try to get one done at least.

Regards, Dave.

Re: make in fedora 2

От
"Scot L. Harris"
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 08:20, Dave Page wrote:

> For some reason FC2 doesn't want to run under virtual pc 2004. Has
> anyone got an FC2/x86 box they can try a build on (my test box is AMD64
> at present)? It should be possible using wxWidgets CVS tip with the
> following patches (as tested by Andreas :-) ):
>
> =====
> wxGTK CVS needs some patches, a recent cumulative patch is now separated
> into 6:
>
> 984864 gtk notebook page style
> 984861 styles of combobox/listbox items
> 984859 wxStaticText c'tor uses SetLabel
> 984858 InheritAttributes in wxWindow::PostCreation
> 984853 Prevent overriding individual font (apparently now in CVS so
> shouldn't be required)
> 984852 Typo in gtk/toplevel.cpp (apparently now in CVS so shouldn't be
> required)
> ====
>
> Regards, Dave

I have a test FC2 box that I can setup to make the build.  Not sure I
can get to it until this weekend however.  I will also need to sort out
how to pull the source from CVS as I have not done that before.

I have built the wx/pgadmin tarballs on a Redhat 8.0 system
successfully.

If you can provide some pointers on how you want this done I will take a
shot at it.

Let me know how I can assist.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid@cfl.rr.com

>From listening comes wisdom and from speaking repentance.

Re: make in fedora 2

От
"Dave Page"

Thanks :-) You can get a wx snapshot from
http://wxwindows.sourceforge.net/snapshots. You can get the patches
from: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=9863&atid=309863

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks, Dave.

Re: make in fedora 2

От
"Scot L. Harris"
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 08:57, Dave Page wrote:

> > > separated into 6:
> > >
> > > 984864 gtk notebook page style
> > > 984861 styles of combobox/listbox items
> > > 984859 wxStaticText c'tor uses SetLabel
> > > 984858 InheritAttributes in wxWindow::PostCreation
> > > 984853 Prevent overriding individual font (apparently now in CVS so
> > > shouldn't be required)
> > > 984852 Typo in gtk/toplevel.cpp (apparently now in CVS so
> > shouldn't be
> > > required)
> > > ====
> > >
> > > Regards, Dave
> >
> > I have a test FC2 box that I can setup to make the build.
> > Not sure I can get to it until this weekend however.  I will
> > also need to sort out how to pull the source from CVS as I
> > have not done that before.
>
> Thanks :-) You can get a wx snapshot from
> http://wxwindows.sourceforge.net/snapshots. You can get the patches
> from: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=9863&atid=309863
>
> Let me know if you need anything else.
>
> Thanks, Dave.

I pulled the snapshot from today and the first 4 patches listed above.
I did not see patch 984853 or 984852 so can I assume those have been
applied in CVS?

Are there any other patches up there that need to be included?

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@cfl.rr.com>

Re: make in fedora 2

От
"Dave Page"

Guess so.

> Are there any other patches up there that need to be included?

Not that I'm aware of :-)

Regards, Dave.