Обсуждение: pgadmin 3 on Debian Stable (woody)

pgadmin 3 on Debian Stable (woody)

От
"Derek Neighbors"
Дата:
Yesterday I went to the downloads section of http://pgadmin.postgresql.org
to pick up more current binaries for a user that only has windows.  I was
pleasantly suprised to notice that pgadmin has now been packaged for
GNU/Linux distributions including Debian.

I added the necessary line to my sources.list and performed the install.
The install went fine, but please note there is a minor omission on the
website.

Note that the web site reads:
For example, for France, you can try:
   * For Debian WOODY:     ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
woody pgadmin
   * For Debian TESTING:     deb ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
testing pgadmin
   * For Debian UNSTABLE:     deb ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
unstable pgadmin

It should read:
For example, for France, you can try:
   * For Debian WOODY:     deb ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
woody pgadmin
   * For Debian TESTING:     deb ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
testing pgadmin
   * For Debian UNSTABLE:     deb ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
unstable pgadmin

Diff would be:

-       ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
woody pgadmin
+       deb
ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian woody
pgadmin

Anyhow I went to run the application and got the following error:

An Error has occured:
Error connecting to the server: The PostgreSQL server must be at least
version 7.3!

The issue is Debian Stable (woody) has PostgreSQL server 7.2.  I think
there are a few ways to tackle this in packaging.

1. Include backports for 7.3 in the same repository that the pgadmin3
stuff is and "require" it as part ofinstalling pgadmin3

2. Make pgadmin3 work against current PostgreSQL packaging for Debian
Stable (Woody)

I personally would like to see #2 as I'm not in a position currently to
readily upgrade to 7.3. :)

Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnuenterprise.org
derek@gnue.org

Re: pgadmin 3 on Debian Stable (woody)

От
Andreas Pflug
Дата:
Derek Neighbors wrote:

>2. Make pgadmin3 work against current PostgreSQL packaging for Debian
>Stable (Woody)
>
>I personally would like to see #2 as I'm not in a position currently to
>readily upgrade to 7.3. :)

Sorry Derek, there will be no pgAdmin3 for PostgreSQL 7.2 or older.
pgAdmin3 relies heavily on the dependency tracking that was introduced
in 7.3. We support all 7.4 features and will maintain pgAdmin3 to
support 7.5 features as early as possible.
There are many good reasons to upgrade to 7.4, and doing it soon might
save you much time.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgadmin 3 on Debian Stable (woody)

От
Raphaël Enrici
Дата:
Hi Derek,

Derek Neighbors wrote:

>It should read:
> For example, for France, you can try:
>    * For Debian WOODY:
>      deb ftp://ftp2.fr.postgresql.org/postgresql/pgadmin3/release/debian
>woody pgadmin

Thank you for the report.
Jean-Michel: can you add the missing "deb" on the download page please ?

>Anyhow I went to run the application and got the following error:
>An Error has occured:
>Error connecting to the server: The PostgreSQL server must be at least
>version 7.3!
>The issue is Debian Stable (woody) has PostgreSQL server 7.2.  I think
>there are a few ways to tackle this in packaging.
>1. Include backports for 7.3 in the same repository that the pgadmin3
>stuff is and "require" it as part ofinstalling pgadmin3
>2. Make pgadmin3 work against current PostgreSQL packaging for Debian
>Stable (Woody)
>I personally would like to see #2 as I'm not in a position currently to
>readily upgrade to 7.3. :)

As Andreas said in his previous mail, pgAdmin3 is based on PostgreSQL >=7.3.
I built the woody packages with the official 7.2 libpq delivered in
debian although it can be source of  bugs in pgAdmin3 (we got none
reported until now). I don't know if I will continue to maintain woody
packages...
However, you can find PostgreSQL 7.4 backports for woody  here:
http://people.debian.org/~elphick/debian/

Note that I did not try them but they appear to be ok for most users
according to google. :)

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: pgadmin 3 on Debian Stable (woody)

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Jeudi 4 Mars 2004 23:08, Raphaël Enrici a écrit :
> Jean-Michel: can you add the missing "deb" on the download page please ?
Done. Sorry for the delay. Cheers, Jean-Michel