Обсуждение: Very Slow connecting and loading database

Very Slow connecting and loading database

От
"Roberto Mason"
Дата:
I'm running PostgreSQL at home. I want to learn SQL programming with Visual
Basic. When I connect with pgadminII to the server  (log in with postgres -
no password), it takes up to 3-4 minutes to connect. When I click to the
database "bobsimple - sample database", it can take over 5 minutes to
"examine".

Would some now what could possibly cause this problems.

I have a home network, running PostgreSQL 7.2.3 on Redhat 8.0. It's a home
server running on a Celeron 400 Mhz, 256 Megs of memory. I'm also running
Samba and Exim MTA. I may be overloading it a bit, but it shouldn't be this
slow, atleast I think not.

Thanks for whatever help may be available

Roberto

Re: Very Slow connecting and loading database

От
Jean-Michel POURE
Дата:
Le Vendredi 14 Février 2003 18:49, Roberto Mason a écrit :
> When I connect with pgadminII to the server  (log in with postgres -
> no password), it takes up to 3-4 minutes to connect. When I click to the
> database "bobsimple - sample database", it can take over 5 minutes to
> "examine".

I already had a similar problem. It is not a PostgreSQL problem.

Looks like Linux is convigured with DNS reverse lookup (for security reasons),
and hence will try to convert any IP connection into a DNS name. Two possible
solutions:
- disable reverse DNS lookup,
- add your Windows client address to the list of known host.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel POURE