Обсуждение: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
Hi

On Windows, if a user role's OID exceeds 256^4/2 - 1 (aka 2147483647),
the OID is displayed as 2147483647 and additional information for that object
(e.g. ACL information) is not displayed.

We have verified this happens with pgAdmin3 1.16.0 on Windows 7 and
1.18.1 on Windows 2012 server. It does not happen on Linux (1.16.1), where
the OID (FWIW, it's 3794942497) for the role in question displays correctly as
well as the ACL information.

Please let me know if you need any more details.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
On Windows, if a user role's OID exceeds 256^4/2 - 1 (aka 2147483647),
the OID is displayed as 2147483647 and additional information for that object
(e.g. ACL information) is not displayed.

We have verified this happens with pgAdmin3 1.16.0 on Windows 7 and
1.18.1 on Windows 2012 server. It does not happen on Linux (1.16.1), where
the OID (FWIW, it's 3794942497) for the role in question displays correctly as
well as the ACL information.
Is it linux (32 bit or 64 bit)?

Please let me know if you need any more details.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick

On Windows, if a user role's OID exceeds 256^4/2 - 1 (aka 2147483647),
the OID is displayed as 2147483647 and additional information for that object
(e.g. ACL information) is not displayed.

We have verified this happens with pgAdmin3 1.16.0 on Windows 7 and
1.18.1 on Windows 2012 server. It does not happen on Linux (1.16.1), where
the OID (FWIW, it's 3794942497) for the role in question displays correctly as
well as the ACL information.
Is it linux (32 bit or 64 bit)?

Both Windows and Linux are 64 bit.

BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
don't seem to be affected by this.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:

> 2013/11/22 Ashesh Vashi <ashesh.vashi@enterprisedb.com>
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> On Windows, if a user role's OID exceeds 256^4/2 - 1 (aka 2147483647),
>>> the OID is displayed as 2147483647 and additional information for that
>>> object
>>> (e.g. ACL information) is not displayed.
>>>
>>> We have verified this happens with pgAdmin3 1.16.0 on Windows 7 and
>>> 1.18.1 on Windows 2012 server. It does not happen on Linux (1.16.1),
>>> where
>>> the OID (FWIW, it's 3794942497) for the role in question displays
>>> correctly as
>>> well as the ACL information.
>>
>> Is it linux (32 bit or 64 bit)?
>

> Both Windows and Linux are 64 bit.
>
> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
> don't seem to be affected by this.

It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
grepping shows that in:

  pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp

the role OID is set with:

 role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));

whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.

 table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));

which may or may not have something to do with the issue.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:

>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>
> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
> grepping shows that in:
>
>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>
> the role OID is set with:
>
>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>
> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>
>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>
> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.

If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
next week.

Regards

Ian  Barwick

Вложения

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Sorry - it was missed due to busy schedule.
I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the reminder.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
Sorry - it was missed due to busy schedule.
I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the reminder.

No worries, thanks for replying so quickly.

Regards

Ian Barwick

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Dave,

The patch, sent by Ian Lawrence, looks good me.
I also found some other places, where the similar changes were required (specially in debugger code).
I've attached the combined patch (debugger changes and Ian's patch).

If nobody has any objection, I will check-in the patch on both REL-1_18_0_PATCHES and master branch.

Sorry - it was missed due to busy schedule.
I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the reminder.

No worries, thanks for replying so quickly.

Regards

Ian Barwick

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Вложения

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
Thanks for the update .

Regards

Ian Barwick

The patch, sent by Ian Lawrence, looks good me.
I also found some other places, where the similar changes were required (specially in debugger code).
I've attached the combined patch (debugger changes and Ian's patch).

If nobody has any objection, I will check-in the patch on both REL-1_18_0_PATCHES and master branch.

Sorry - it was missed due to busy schedule.
I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the reminder.

No worries, thanks for replying so quickly.

Regards

Ian Barwick

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
Just wondering - is anything happening with this patch?

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks for the update .

Regards

Ian Barwick

The patch, sent by Ian Lawrence, looks good me.
I also found some other places, where the similar changes were required (specially in debugger code).
I've attached the combined patch (debugger changes and Ian's patch).

If nobody has any objection, I will check-in the patch on both REL-1_18_0_PATCHES and master branch.

Sorry - it was missed due to busy schedule.
I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the reminder.

No worries, thanks for replying so quickly.

Regards

Ian Barwick

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Just wondering - is anything happening with this patch?
I was waiting for other hackers for their response.
I will check-in the patch as nobody objected.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks for the update .

Regards

Ian Barwick

The patch, sent by Ian Lawrence, looks good me.
I also found some other places, where the similar changes were required (specially in debugger code).
I've attached the combined patch (debugger changes and Ian's patch).

If nobody has any objection, I will check-in the patch on both REL-1_18_0_PATCHES and master branch.

Sorry - it was missed due to busy schedule.
I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the reminder.

No worries, thanks for replying so quickly.

Regards

Ian Barwick

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ashesh Vashi
Дата:
Done.
Checked-in in the master and REL-1_18_0_PATCHES branch.

Just wondering - is anything happening with this patch?
I was waiting for other hackers for their response.
I will check-in the patch as nobody objected.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks for the update .

Regards

Ian Barwick

The patch, sent by Ian Lawrence, looks good me.
I also found some other places, where the similar changes were required (specially in debugger code).
I've attached the combined patch (debugger changes and Ian's patch).

If nobody has any objection, I will check-in the patch on both REL-1_18_0_PATCHES and master branch.

Sorry - it was missed due to busy schedule.
I will take a look at it.

Thanks for the reminder.

No worries, thanks for replying so quickly.

Regards

Ian Barwick

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com> wrote:
2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
> 2013/11/22 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:
>

>>> BTW other objects (tables, schemas etc.) with OIDs greater than 256^4/2 - 1
>>> don't seem to be affected by this.
>>
>> It's been a while since I've looked at the pgAdmin source, but some wild
>> grepping shows that in:
>>
>>   pgadmin/schema/pgRole.cpp
>>
>> the role OID is set with:
>>
>>  role->iSetOid(roles->GetLong(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> whereas almost everywhere else it's set with GetOid(), e.g.
>>
>>  table->iSetOid(tables->GetOid(wxT("oid")));
>>
>> which may or may not have something to do with the issue.
>
> If that is the problem, then here's a patch. Untested as I don't have a Windows
> build environment available, though I might be able to cobble one together
> next week.

Just wondering - has anyone been able to look into this? Unfortunately I still
don't have a Windows build environment available to test.

Regards

Ian Barwick

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA:
Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

http://www.linkedin.com/in/asheshvashi

Re: Bug report: OIDs, roles and Windows (signedness issue?)

От
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Дата:
Done.
Checked-in in the master and REL-1_18_0_PATCHES branch.

Many thanks. If someone can provide a Windows build, I can
verify it in the environment where the issue occurred.

Regards

Ian Barwick