Обсуждение: Fixed help information issue for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint

Fixed help information issue for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint

От
Akshay Joshi
Дата:
Hi Dave

I have fixed on minor issue where there is no help information (.rst) available for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint. Bug is reproducible when user click on "Help" button on guru hint dialog for "Server Instrumentation".

I have fixed it by disabling the "Help" button for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint. Attached is the patch file. Please review it and if it look good to you then can you please commit it.

--
Akshay Joshi
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Fixed help information issue for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Akshay Joshi
<akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> I have fixed on minor issue where there is no help information (.rst)
> available for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint. Bug is reproducible when
> user click on "Help" button on guru hint dialog for "Server
> Instrumentation".
>
> I have fixed it by disabling the "Help" button for "Server Instrumentation"
> guru hint. Attached is the patch file. Please review it and if it look good
> to you then can you please commit it.

This doesn't seem like the right approach. We should remove the
invalid helpfile names from the hintArray (set them to NULL/0 I
guess), and then if necessary, modify the dialogue to enable or
disable the button based on that value.

That will be more future-proof, and follows the existing design much
more closely.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
Hi

On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Akshay Joshi
<akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave
>
> I have fixed on minor issue where there is no help information (.rst)
> available for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint. Bug is reproducible when
> user click on "Help" button on guru hint dialog for "Server
> Instrumentation".
>
> I have fixed it by disabling the "Help" button for "Server Instrumentation"
> guru hint. Attached is the patch file. Please review it and if it look good
> to you then can you please commit it.

This doesn't seem like the right approach. We should remove the
invalid helpfile names from the hintArray (set them to NULL/0 I
guess), and then if necessary, modify the dialogue to enable or
disable the button based on that value.

   I have tried by replacing the invalid helpfile names with "wxEmptyString" from the hintArray. It works. With this implementation no action will be perform when user click on "Help" button. Is this behavior acceptable or do I need to disable the "Help" button?

That will be more future-proof, and follows the existing design much
more closely.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Akshay Joshi
Senior Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Phone: +91 20-3058-9522
Mobile: +91 976-788-8246

Re: Fixed help information issue for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Akshay Joshi
<akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Akshay Joshi
>> <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Dave
>> >
>> > I have fixed on minor issue where there is no help information (.rst)
>> > available for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint. Bug is reproducible
>> > when
>> > user click on "Help" button on guru hint dialog for "Server
>> > Instrumentation".
>> >
>> > I have fixed it by disabling the "Help" button for "Server
>> > Instrumentation"
>> > guru hint. Attached is the patch file. Please review it and if it look
>> > good
>> > to you then can you please commit it.
>>
>> This doesn't seem like the right approach. We should remove the
>> invalid helpfile names from the hintArray (set them to NULL/0 I
>> guess), and then if necessary, modify the dialogue to enable or
>> disable the button based on that value.
>

>    I have tried by replacing the invalid helpfile names with "wxEmptyString"
> from the hintArray. It works. With this implementation no action will be
> perform when user click on "Help" button. Is this behavior acceptable or do
> I need to disable the "Help" button?

It should be disabled too, otherwise the user will think something
should happen which could be confusing.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Fixed help information issue for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint

От
Akshay Joshi
Дата:
Attached is the modified patch. Please review it.

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM, Akshay Joshi
<akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 6:50 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 7:54 AM, Akshay Joshi
>> <akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Dave
>> >
>> > I have fixed on minor issue where there is no help information (.rst)
>> > available for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint. Bug is reproducible
>> > when
>> > user click on "Help" button on guru hint dialog for "Server
>> > Instrumentation".
>> >
>> > I have fixed it by disabling the "Help" button for "Server
>> > Instrumentation"
>> > guru hint. Attached is the patch file. Please review it and if it look
>> > good
>> > to you then can you please commit it.
>>
>> This doesn't seem like the right approach. We should remove the
>> invalid helpfile names from the hintArray (set them to NULL/0 I
>> guess), and then if necessary, modify the dialogue to enable or
>> disable the button based on that value.
>

>    I have tried by replacing the invalid helpfile names with "wxEmptyString"
> from the hintArray. It works. With this implementation no action will be
> perform when user click on "Help" button. Is this behavior acceptable or do
> I need to disable the "Help" button?

It should be disabled too, otherwise the user will think something
should happen which could be confusing.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

--
Akshay Joshi
Senior Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
Phone: +91 20-3058-9522
Mobile: +91 976-788-8246
Вложения

Re: Fixed help information issue for "Server Instrumentation" guru hint

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Akshay Joshi
<akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Attached is the modified patch. Please review it.

It is still testing for the hint ID's when determining whether or not
to enable the Help button, which is what I suggested avoiding. I
changed it to this:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=blobdiff;f=pgadmin/frm/frmHint.cpp;h=feacc78b572dce8f33a6ca8b3e7fcf389a90acd4;hp=aebe9a6039d7e574cb1cdbbfa1b6079d685c9f60;hb=7ff99f6296f3e522cab650a4bf8afe2c6697d4ef;hpb=06e7d3404747e5fc91d3ed27e89f3a33d885e16b

It seems to work correctly for me - please confirm.

--

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 3:31 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Akshay Joshi
<akshay.joshi@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Attached is the modified patch. Please review it.

It is still testing for the hint ID's when determining whether or not
to enable the Help button, which is what I suggested avoiding. I
changed it to this:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=blobdiff;f=pgadmin/frm/frmHint.cpp;h=feacc78b572dce8f33a6ca8b3e7fcf389a90acd4;hp=aebe9a6039d7e574cb1cdbbfa1b6079d685c9f60;hb=7ff99f6296f3e522cab650a4bf8afe2c6697d4ef;hpb=06e7d3404747e5fc91d3ed27e89f3a33d885e16b

It seems to work correctly for me - please confirm.

  Works correctly for me as well. Thanks for modifying the patch.