Обсуждение: Numeric alignment in query grid

Numeric alignment in query grid

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Hi!

Something that's annoyed me for a long time is that all fields are
left-aligned in the query grid. It's a lot easier to read numeric
fields when they are right-justified.

Attached patch right-justifies fields that are numeric.

Two questions:

1) does this seem like a reasonable way of doing it?
2) do we want to always do this (like this patch), or do we need to
create a setting for it?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Вложения

Re: Numeric alignment in query grid

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Something that's annoyed me for a long time is that all fields are
> left-aligned in the query grid. It's a lot easier to read numeric
> fields when they are right-justified.
>
> Attached patch right-justifies fields that are numeric.
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1) does this seem like a reasonable way of doing it?

Yes.

> 2) do we want to always do this (like this patch), or do we need to
> create a setting for it?

I don't think there's a great need for a setting, though, we do have
lots of room for them now, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to avoid annoying
users that like the old way.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Numeric alignment in query grid

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Something that's annoyed me for a long time is that all fields are
>> left-aligned in the query grid. It's a lot easier to read numeric
>> fields when they are right-justified.
>>
>> Attached patch right-justifies fields that are numeric.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) does this seem like a reasonable way of doing it?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 2) do we want to always do this (like this patch), or do we need to
>> create a setting for it?
>
> I don't think there's a great need for a setting, though, we do have
> lots of room for them now, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to avoid annoying
> users that like the old way.

We have room, but adding settings for the sake of settings doesn't
exactly contribute to usability...

How about we do it without the setting, and then we can add the
setting if somebody complains? ;)

(Oh, and I don't suppose i can sneak this into 1.16, can I? :P)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Numeric alignment in query grid

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Something that's annoyed me for a long time is that all fields are
>>> left-aligned in the query grid. It's a lot easier to read numeric
>>> fields when they are right-justified.
>>>
>>> Attached patch right-justifies fields that are numeric.
>>>
>>> Two questions:
>>>
>>> 1) does this seem like a reasonable way of doing it?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> 2) do we want to always do this (like this patch), or do we need to
>>> create a setting for it?
>>
>> I don't think there's a great need for a setting, though, we do have
>> lots of room for them now, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to avoid annoying
>> users that like the old way.
>
> We have room, but adding settings for the sake of settings doesn't
> exactly contribute to usability...

It does if there's a valid use case for either behaviour.

> How about we do it without the setting, and then we can add the
> setting if somebody complains? ;)
>
> (Oh, and I don't suppose i can sneak this into 1.16, can I? :P)

Err, no. Sorry.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Numeric alignment in query grid

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 3:58 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> Yes.

>>> I don't think there's a great need for a setting, though, we do have
>>> lots of room for them now, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to avoid annoying
>>> users that like the old way.
>>
>> We have room, but adding settings for the sake of settings doesn't
>> exactly contribute to usability...
>
> It does if there's a valid use case for either behaviour.

Yes, but then it's not for the sake of settings, then it's for the
sake of it being a reasonable usecase. I'm not convinced there is
one...

>> How about we do it without the setting, and then we can add the
>> setting if somebody complains? ;)
>>
>> (Oh, and I don't suppose i can sneak this into 1.16, can I? :P)
>
> Err, no. Sorry.

:)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Numeric alignment in query grid

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 17:07 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> >> We have room, but adding settings for the sake of settings doesn't
> >> exactly contribute to usability...
> >
> > It does if there's a valid use case for either behaviour.
>
> Yes, but then it's not for the sake of settings, then it's for the
> sake of it being a reasonable usecase. I'm not convinced there is
> one...

Not convinced we need a setting now. And it would be really easy to add
one after a complaint.

> >> How about we do it without the setting, and then we can add the
> >> setting if somebody complains? ;)
> >>
> >> (Oh, and I don't suppose i can sneak this into 1.16, can I? :P)
> >
> > Err, no. Sorry.
>
> :)

Not sure when Dave wants to branch 1.16, but sometime soon would be a
good idea. There are already interesting things to add. I won't complain
if it doesn't come right away as I really don't have time for pgAdmin
right now. Completely overbooked.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Numeric alignment in query grid

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-27 at 17:07 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> > It does if there's a valid use case for either behaviour.
>>
>> Yes, but then it's not for the sake of settings, then it's for the
>> sake of it being a reasonable usecase. I'm not convinced there is
>> one...
>>

> Not convinced we need a setting now. And it would be really easy to add
> one after a complaint.

>> > Err, no. Sorry.
>>
>> :)
>>

> Not sure when Dave wants to branch 1.16, but sometime soon would be a
> good idea. There are already interesting things to add. I won't complain
> if it doesn't come right away as I really don't have time for pgAdmin
> right now. Completely overbooked.

I've now applied this to the newly stamped 1.17-master.