Обсуждение: Should we keep using trac?

Should we keep using trac?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Quick question: is trac the right tool?

I mainly use it as a wiki (for example the list of wxWidgets 2.9
compatibility issues, and the list of issues with the Database Designer)
and as a BUGS/TODO list (with the tickets).

Maybe trac is not the right tool, and we should use something else?

Anyway, it's probably time to evaluate this tool, and make sure we
really need it.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Should we keep using trac?

От
"Dickson S. Guedes"
Дата:
2012/6/17 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> Quick question: is trac the right tool?

Which problems we are trying to solve using trac? Are they solved or minimized?

> Maybe trac is not the right tool, and we should use something else?

Maybe are we using it the right way?

I like trac and redmine, the former to projects that are simple, with
simple workflow, the second to more complex projects, with
sub-project, ticket dependencies and, IMHO, a better notion of
"progress" for tickets and milestones.

Which goals we want to achieve?

regards
--
Dickson S. Guedes
mail/xmpp: guedes@guedesoft.net - skype: guediz

Re: Should we keep using trac?

От
Guillaume Lelarge
Дата:
On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 12:15 -0300, Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
> 2012/6/17 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
> > Quick question: is trac the right tool?
>
> Which problems we are trying to solve using trac? Are they solved or minimized?

Good questions. I use it so that I don't forget a bug to fix, and a
feature request to work on.

> > Maybe trac is not the right tool, and we should use something else?
>
> Maybe are we using it the right way?
>
> I like trac and redmine, the former to projects that are simple, with
> simple workflow, the second to more complex projects, with
> sub-project, ticket dependencies and, IMHO, a better notion of
> "progress" for tickets and milestones.
>
> Which goals we want to achieve?

For me, tracking bugs, and feature requests.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Should we keep using trac?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 12:15 -0300, Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
>> 2012/6/17 Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>:
>> > Quick question: is trac the right tool?
>>
>> Which problems we are trying to solve using trac? Are they solved or minimized?
>>

> Good questions. I use it so that I don't forget a bug to fix, and a
> feature request to work on.

I think that's a reasonable and valuable use of it.

>> > Maybe trac is not the right tool, and we should use something else?
>>
>> Maybe are we using it the right way?
>>
>> I like trac and redmine, the former to projects that are simple, with
>> simple workflow, the second to more complex projects, with
>> sub-project, ticket dependencies and, IMHO, a better notion of
>> "progress" for tickets and milestones.
>>
>> Which goals we want to achieve?
>>

> For me, tracking bugs, and feature requests.

If anything we'll move to Redmine eventually, purely because that's
what we're using elsewhere in the project by default now.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Should we keep using trac?

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
On Jun 18, 10:35 am, dp...@pgadmin.org (Dave Page) wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
>
> <guilla...@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
> >> Which problems we are trying to solve using trac? Are they solved or minimized?
>
> > Good questions. I use it so that I don't forget a bug to fix, and a
> > feature request to work on.
>
> I think that's a reasonable and valuable use of it.

> >> Maybe are we using it the right way?
>
> >> I like trac and redmine, the former to projects that are simple, with
> >> simple workflow, the second to more complex projects, with
> >> sub-project, ticket dependencies and, IMHO, a better notion of
> >> "progress" for tickets and milestones.
>
> >> Which goals we want to achieve?
>
> > For me, tracking bugs, and feature requests.
>
> If anything we'll move to Redmine eventually, purely because that's
> what we're using elsewhere in the project by default now.

I use trac to file the occasional bug and follow up on it. Redmine
would be just as well for me.

Regards
Erwin